1st Canadian Bacon with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Moving right along...

Pulled the CB out of the fridge to get it closer to room temp and dusted it with some CBP. Just checked the fire, should be down to good coals in about 15 minutes, then get the fire regulated from the 500 its at now to a nice 250.

Just put the CB into the smoker. Targeting 230 till I get internal of 160. Hopefully by midnight!

After 2 hours, left one at 121, right at 126

Important Safety Tip #1 from Seboke: ALWAYS wear shoes when dumping from the charcoal chimney to the firebox!

Preburned some oak in my chimney. Dumped it into the veggie roaster that is my charcoal pan. A hot coal jumped out and hid in the grass. My bare foot found it!! Got a blister about the size of a quarter, standing up about as big as a big peanut m&m
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Update: 3.5 hours gone by, left one at 133, right at 138. Smoker holding good a 231.

Loins plateaued a bit, then took off! Took right at 4 hours to get to 144, then about 45 minutes to jump to 160. The other one is at 157.

Here's the first:

Gonna let them rest for 30 minutes then slice. Driving me crazy to not go slice right now!!

Looks perfect, I would like to see them sliced.

Me Too!!! I haven't been this excited about a smoke since my first turkey legs a year ago!! Slicing in 15 minutes....

Wow those look beautiful.....
drooling like a baby now....
yikes sorry about your tootsies there...good advice though, I have been living on the edge and wearing flip flops...I am rethinking my smoking shoe of choice!

Started this a week ago, finishing up just now!

Here's both halves of the loin fresh out of the smoker.

Got em all sliced up

Closeup...

And packaged.

Folks, I love CB. I can swear I will never buy it at the deli again!!! It came out fabulous!!!!!! Thanks again to cowgirl for all her help in making this a very successful smoke!

Next up: Buckboard Bacon and some of that good lookin stuffed meatloaf I saw earlier today!

Unbeliavable looking. Moist and juicy. I am still afraid of the nitrates, anyone else have the same fears? Can you achieve the same results with just sea salts and spices?

I really don't know - this being my first time curing anything. I was told that I had to use some type of curing agent, that just salt, sugar and spices would not cure right. What's that cure desertlites uses? Same ingredients?

Used correctly, and not eaten all day every day Nitrates/nitrites are pretty innocuous. I have always warned people not to over-cure. It can kill you. Be difficult to eat a couple grams of the stuff and not notice tho.

It's a MUCH more efficient curing method, and gives a better cure- EG. safer product bacteria/preservation wise. Absolutely superior to salt.

Overall... your choice. I take the health food arena "with a grain or two of salt", so to speak. Heh.

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone define 'curing' for me? I know about brining, but curing is new to me. It is a method for preserving the meat correct?
That bacon looks terrific, something I want to try.

Thanks

looks great, can bacon on my list as well. got me thinking about the cure though. i dont know if it really worth the risk, using in correct porportions
and having a thourough cure or having an incomplete cure and possibly suffer the cosequences??? maybe thinking to much on this but everything i have read says use the cure.... still great looking bacon!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky