1st Calzone, Smoked Ham and Cheese+ 2 New BBQ toys/tools,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
1st Calzone, Smoked Ham and Cheese+ 2 New BBQ toys/tools,

DSC_7265.JPG DSC_7267.JPG

Made a pizza paddle, burnt in a 9" and 12" guide circles, and picked up a new Napoleon baking stone 20" x 13.5" for the BBQ fits good and that way the 2 outside burners can be my regulators once up the temp.

So Yesterday had a double smoked ham with pineapple Glaze for MIL's birthday, and yes there was cake also .
Made some pizza dough last night and into the fridge until today, I like it that way . Do ahead of time and cold rest.

Put the stone in the Q and set for about 500 deg. ( hovered around 475+ as I kept peeking ) first time for this stone , not sure on the heat retention.

Sliced up some ham, chopped onions green peppers and lots of Mozza. ch.

Stretched out the dough ,layer of cheese, lots of ham, onions and peppers some of the glaze and another big layer of cheese

DSC_7262.JPG DSC_7266.JPG
DSC_7267.JPG DSC_7268.JPG
DSC_7269.JPG DSC_7270.JPG
DSC_7271.JPG

Wet the edges when folding over to help stick the edges better, than fold over again cut 3 slits to let out the steam
Beat up an egg and a little water brushed over the calzone

DSC_7272.JPG DSC_7273.JPG

picked it up and onto the paddle than slide onto the hot stone in the Q

DSC_7275.JPG

Was in for about 14 +/- minutes, kind of lost track as I kept peeking, did not want it to burn .

Well sirs and ladies, it did not burn and it did cook fantastic on the new stone, the cheese was just starting to boil out of the vents, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

DSC_7278.JPG DSC_7279.JPG

As you can see the paddle is 12.5" across , so the Calzone is about 14" - 15 " long. Let it rest for 10 minutes so it did not just pour out when I cut it

Cut shots !!! Da Da Da da

The dough cooked perfect top and bottom, fluffy lots of air in it.

DSC_7281.JPG

DSC_7282.JPG

And the bottom is also just the right cook on it like the top

DSC_7285.JPG

DSC_7288.JPG

DSC_7287.JPG

Yes I also wanted more glaze on mine ,

So thanks for staying around to the end, I know it was long. I see a big loaded pizza coming soon , :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:🤠

Had 2 big end pieces , now I must relax a bit, lol

This will happen again and I am very happy with the stone and the Calzone and my new pizza paddle

David

DSC_7286.JPG

David

Attachments

• DSC_7273.JPG
    DSC_7273.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7276.JPG
    DSC_7276.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7277.JPG
    DSC_7277.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
Excellent looking calzone David. I'm happy to see your new tools are working.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Excellent looking calzone David. I'm happy to see your new tools are working.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Yes the new stone is great and I can see lots of foods ( pizza ) being smoked and cooked on the Q with that

And the paddle was just suppose to be a sample to see if it would hold up and work. But it came together so good I went with it and finished it off, love the fel of it , and works well. Real test will be with the pizza built right on the paddle than off onto the stone.

As for the Calzone, was very good next time I know I can add a lot more filling and many more combos to come for me. Even Mona loved it :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup:

David

Hell's yeah David!

Are you you sure you did not spend some time working in a Brooklyn, NY Pizzeria?

Thanks Cliff for the love and the comment

It was fun to build and eat.

Well now that you mention it, I did cook for 20 years or so, most of it a a pasta shop where we had the best pizza in the HRM for many years.
fresh tossed pizza and in the big pizza ovens where it had the large stones at 500 deg all the time. not on the conveyer track ovens most us nowadays

but this was my first Calzone and my first at home on a BBQ stone.

David

Thanks Cliff for the love and the comment

It was fun to build and eat.

Well now that you mention it, I did cook for 20 years or so, most of it a a pasta shop where we had the best pizza in the HRM for many years.
fresh tossed pizza and in the big pizza ovens where it had the large stones at 500 deg all the time. not on the conveyer track ovens most us nowadays

but this was my first Calzone and my first at home on a BBQ stone.

David
I am humbled! Did not know that

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky