1st Butt Q View & Fattie Cameo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
I prepped a 4 pound butt last night with mustard and Billbo's rub.  I took it out this morning and let it come to room temp before I put it in the smoker.

That's the last thing that went according to plan all day.  LOL!

Here's a pre-smoke shot:

17f7999d_IMG_1913.jpg

The first thing I did wrong was not have the temp stabilized when I put the meat in.  I also forgot to put the probe in for the remote thermometer.  As I was struggling to get the temp up, I had to open the lid and put in the probe.  I sort of poked around a little to make sure I wasn't next to a bone.

OK, so it took about an hour to get the temp right.  It was an ongoing battle the whole day.  My two previous smokes were a walk in the park compared to today.  I barely got an internal meat temp of 140 in the first 4 hours.  When it did get past 140, I opened the lid to add the fattie. 

4ea2e0db_IMG_1922.jpg

Mmmmm....fatties!

ad7eace0_IMG_1916.jpg

This was my first fattie, but it was a huge hit!  My wife loved it!  I used Jimmy Dean Hot, with roasted red peppers, trader joe's 3 blend shredded cheese, shredded mozzarella and thinly sliced baked potato. 

9f46a677_IMG_1918.jpg

Next time I'm going to roll it out a tiny bit thicker and maybe freeze it a little to firm it up before I roll it.  Also I think I need to leave more of a border to prevent blowout. 

94d1b4f0_IMG_1921.jpg

I started to do a weave and the bacon fumes got to me.  I got a little light-headed.  Anyway, I don't think weird weave affected the taste much.  LOL.

I knew I'd probably hit a plateau and I wasn't worried about it because I read Meowey's excellent sticky.  I hit it at 179.  Stayed there forever.  Then I lost a few degrees.  No problem, I read that might happen.

But right about then I happened to be losing my fire and didn't know it.  The made the plateau even plateauier. 

7fb4f188_IMG_1924.jpg

While I was enjoying the plateau, I decided to cut an onion in half and add it to the smoker.  Didn't have any particular plans for the onion, but it seemed like a good thing to do.  Smoked onion could come in handy in a number of dishes.  I dusted the cut halves with a little seasoned salt and Billbo's rub.

Here's the finished fattie:

790b0469_IMG_1931.jpg

f0fab353_IMG_1932.jpg

The smoke ring on this fattie was so pink I thought the sausage was uncooked. 

When the butt took longer than expected, the fattie saved the day!  I was super happy I decided to make one along side the butt.  I knew the butt was going to be ready when it was ready, so I covered myself with the fattie.

The finished butt:

1e1f03e4_IMG_1941.jpg

It was not falling off any bones, but I still got a bunch of nice moist pulled pork:

803bb528_IMG_1938.jpg

4a318b02_IMG_1942.jpg

Now the biggest problem I had, besides the unsteady smoker temps, was that when I put the remote probe in, it must have been too close to a bone.

I didn't figure this out until the end of the day.  I had left the butt in the smoker until it was 205.  Well, I thought it was 205 anyway. 

When I brought it inside to wrap it in towells and put it in the cooler, I removed the remote probe, and just for good measure, I checked the temp with another thermometer.  It read 183.  Uh-oh.  I checked a couple more places.  Same thing.  180s.

I concluded I must've had the probe next to a bone.  This stupid butt is nowhere near done.  I put the remote probe back in, making sure to avoid the bone and put it in the oven on 250 to finish cooking the butt.  

I left it in the oven until the remote probe said 195 and then took it out and towelled & ice chested it.  An hour later I pulled it out and started pulling at it. 

My wife and I both had pretty big slices of fattie earlier, so we just had a smallish portion of the pulled pork topped with Billbo's excellent BBQ sauce and some melon on the side for dinner.

Looking forward to some excellent pulled pork sammies tomorrow night for dinner!

And also looking forward to my next butt!  A lot went wrong, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I learned a lot, and everything was edible, so I have no complaints!  LOL

Hope you enjoyed the Q view and my long-winded first butt saga!

bd814ec5_curly2.jpg

Reactions: meateater
This is what I say!
points.gif
 You had a plan and it all came forth, it all looks awesome and that's what it's all about.
icon_cool.gif
 Your camera skills could use some work.....Just kidding.

This is what I say!
points.gif
 You had a plan and it all came forth, it all looks awesome and that's what it's all about.
icon_cool.gif
 Your camera skills could use some work.....Just kidding.
LMAO!  Thanks, meateater!!    You're right.  It all ended in moist, delicious pork, and you said it brother, that's what it's all about!

My wife doesn't like me using her camera. 
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

I've never used a digital camera before and have no idea how to operate it.  I believe my photos will back this up.  The Q views I've posted are the only photos I've taken, and they're all point and click.  Pretty weak, I know!  LOL.

Maybe between smokes I could read the camera's manual.  Even more LOL @ myself!

LMAO!  Thanks, meateater!!    You're right.  It all ended in moist, delicious pork, and you said it brother, that's what it's all about!

My wife doesn't like me using her camera. 
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

I've never used a digital camera before and have no idea how to operate it.  I believe my photos will back this up.  The Q views I've posted are the only photos I've taken, and they're all point and click.  Pretty weak, I know!  LOL.

Maybe between smokes I could read the camera's manual.  Even more LOL @ myself!
LOL, those pics are perfect! I was just breaking bread. Keep those pics coming! Nice work!
icon_cool.gif

Nice work in spite of the troubles!  These things are almost always salvageable and tasty, even when we struggle!

icon_cool.gif

Your Q-view looks excellent to me and the fattie looks super. I would keep on going with your smoking career it's off to a great start. So keep the Q-view coming and we will be here to look at it.

I agree it all came out looking good in the end and inspite of the peanut gallery
icon_mrgreen.gif
 the pics are looking good too

God I have not used peanut gallery in forever HaHa - it is Meateaters fault LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky