1st Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hfactor

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Ventura, Taxifornia
I'm going all in and attempting my first brisket this weekend.  I have a 10 pound full brisket, point and flat included.  My question to the brisket authorities out there, can I split/cut the brisket in half length way and smoke the point and flat connected?  10 pounds is too much beef for my family!

any comments?

Thanks,

Last edited:
If you have room I would personally cook the whole thing at once  and then freeze what ever you can't eat. Brisket warms up really nice out of the freezer. I love having brisket on hand and all I need to do is heat it up quick for a nice meal.

Like RB said, smoke it all and freeze the rest. It may lose a bit of flavor from the freezer butt it will reheat fantastically!!!!!!! I would slice before you freeze.  

We love brisket so much that I normally do two at a time just to be sure there is plenty left to freeze. I normally pull and coarse chop it rather than slice just because I like it that way. Makes for some awesome nachos or sammies for a quick meal. Drop the thawed bag into some boiling water to reheat and the flavor stays together. The only problem is getting it onto the chips or buns without eating it all!

I'll probably have trouble fitting the whole slab in my smoker.  I really didn't see any good feedback on cooking just the flat, and doing the point at a later time.  Seems like smoking just the flat left opens the door for a dry result, something I want to avoid.

Cooking just the flat is very do-able, you just have to pay more attention to your temps. When doing just the flat keep your chamber temps low (210-220), and foil early (around 155 internal temp). Also put about 1/2 a cup of low sodium beef broth in the foil. Once the interal temp hits 190°pull it off and rest it in a dry towel lined cooler for 45 min. to an hour - leave the juices in the foil, and place a small pan under it if you are afraid of leaks.

Other than that only other words of caution are open the smoker as little as possible, do not try and rush it by turning up the heat or pulling it before it hits 190, and don't cut the resting time short.

Thanks JIR,

At 11 1/2 pounds, 20" long and 9" wide, I was hoping that I could split it down the middle, and create two packer point/flat briskets.  Cook one this weekend, freeze the other for later.  I did find a post from another forum that said they actually sell briskets this way in Texas.  Anyway, not sure if I'm going to smoke the whole thing, or try my luck at splitting down the center.  I'd imagine if I smoke it at low temps, the dryness factor would be reduced, but not sure.  I really never considered separating the flat from the point, I guess this could be an option.  Again this is my first attempt, and I'm trying to gather experience.

Thanks...

Never seen a brisket split lengthwise, but I may not be shopping at the right stores..It would work, try and let us know how it came out.  Good luck with the brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky