18 Hour Leg-o-Lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I had a little 3.2 pound boneless leg-o-lamb that I was thinking of smoking up on my offset for the Sunday games. I got to thinking I didn't want to have to constantly tend the fire all day so decided to go with the sous vide, pretty much set and forget. I had no idea how long it was going to take but figured a lot of time wouldn't hurt, not so. I started out punching the roast with a few cloves of garlic.
DSCN2683.JPG

Tied on some fresh rosemary, vac-sealed it, and into the 135º sous vide pot at ten Saturday night
DSCN2693.JPG

Had to add a little water to the pot when I got up Sunday morning, everything going smoothly, pulled it at four in the afternoon
DSCN2695.JPG

Cleaned off the rosemary while sautéing some shrooms in butter
DSCN2694.JPG

Got the roast out to the pario for a nice weed torch sear
DSCN2696.JPG

I took the juice from the sous vide bag and mixed on the stove with some cabernet and balsamic vinegar for a reduction. First slice showed the nice pink color I was looking for, plated up with a buttery yam, asparagus, and the shrooms, had applesauce and mint apple jelly on the table with a nice glass of cab
DSCN2700.JPG

The lamb with the reduction had a really nice flavor, but the texture was a bit too soft for my liking. I saw where my amigo SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan recently sous vide a lamb roast for nine hours and I think that's the way I'll go on the next one. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe out there! RAY

Darn nice looking meal right there Ray!! Sorry it came out too soft but I bet it was tender and flavorful. Lots of folks going SV these days and I'm one of them. There's a lot of merit to using those things.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sure looks good to me RAY! I think with most meats there is a sweet spot. I did an eye of round for 30 hr and it was almost too soft. Any further and it would be mushy. Between 20-24 seems to work great.

Darn nice looking meal right there Ray!! Sorry it came out too soft but I bet it was tender and flavorful. Lots of folks going SV these days and I'm one of them. There's a lot of merit to using those things. Robert

Thank you Robert! It was a tasty and tender hunk of lamb for sure, I'm just thinking the one John did for nine hours would make me a little happier, the reduction really helped, Thank you for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it! RAY

Very nice looking dish, Ray. However, I believe that 18 hours is way too long.

About once a month, I do a boneless leg of lamb SV, usually around 4 lbs. We like it finished at 125ºF, sort of the crossroads of rare - medium rare. I cook it SV for 3 hours and it comes out perfect every time. If you like it done to 135ºF I think 4 hours would be fine, but certainly not more than 5 hours. Beyond that, the texture will start becoming soft and mushy.

Nice plate of food you have Ray! Glad it kinda turned out for you. Nice thing about this forum is we all get to learn from others.

Ryan

Nice SV cook, I’d sure take a plate! I hope the next one will be more to your liking!

Thanks WHB! I'm doing sous vide on the leftovers for dinner, be interesting to see how that comes out. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Sure looks good to me RAY! I think with most meats there is a sweet spot. I did an eye of round for 30 hr and it was almost too soft. Any further and it would be mushy. Between 20-24 seems to work great.

Thanks Travis! I did a chucky for 50 hours awhile back and loved it, live and learn I guess! RAY

WOW that looks great! Great cook and plate!

Thanks Sandy! I'll be doing it again, tho with some minor adjustments. RAY

Looks good. I love the smell of rosemary but hate the taste. I grow it just so I can smell it.

Thank you Brian! Rosemary is akin to mint-apple jelly, made for lamb. RAY

that sure is a fine looking plate there Ray!

Thanks Jim! Come out my way where the sun is always shining and I'll have a plate whipped up just for you! Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

SHR, Nice job on the SV, lamb looks delicious!

Thanks CM! For the first time doing a lamb roast I loved the flavor and learned a little something too! Thank you for the Like Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Very nice looking dish, Ray. However, I believe that 18 hours is way too long.
About once a month, I do a boneless leg of lamb SV, usually around 4 lbs. We like it finished at 125ºF, sort of the crossroads of rare - medium rare. I cook it SV for 3 hours and it comes out perfect every time. If you like it done to 135ºF I think 4 hours would be fine, but certainly not more than 5 hours. Beyond that, the texture will start becoming soft and mushy.

Heck yeah, thanks for the advise, and I'll be taking your advise on the next one for sure! Thanks you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Nice plate of food you have Ray! Glad it kinda turned out for you. Nice thing about this forum is we all get to learn from others. Ryan

Thanks Ryan! You sure got that right, I think I just learned what I wanted to know from @dis 1, doesn't get any better than SMF! Thank you for the Like Ryan, much appreciated. RAY

Looks mighty fine ray! I have had a sv for 2 years still in the box and stuffed in a closet somewhere. Y'all might finally get me to give it a try......someday

Get that sucker off the shelf and plugged in Jake, it ain't doing you a dammed bit of good sitting in the closet! RAY

Thanks WHB! I'm doing sous vide on the leftovers for dinner, be interesting to see how that comes out. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray, will you please let me know how that turns out? Very interested! Thank you...

Justin

Hey TNJAKE TNJAKE maybe if you get you're SV out of the closet you can convince Ray to get his air fryer out of the box! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Looks Great Ray!! I never had Lamb, but I'd be all over that !! Looks Mighty Tasty!! Nice Job! Like. Bear

Thanks John! I just finished some sous vide leftover for dinner, was mushy. I have enough left for a nice cold lamb sanny and that's what I'll do. Thanks for the Like John, much appreciated. RAY

That lamb looks pretty good to me Ray. Sorry to hear it came out too soft for your liking, but it seems that you still got to enjoy a nice meal!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky