170 degrees in 5 hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy I had some old Hogs last night then! Those two buggers sat at 140° to 145°F for 4 hours! Never had one sit that long before. Three hours yes but four never!

Must have been the empty smoker! Yeah that's it! First time I ever smoked just two little butts - they got lonely!
eek.gif

Ok, newbie question here:

What is the purpose of the cooler?  I am not sure I even have a cooler right now?  I know that you all say it is to let the meat rest, but what does that actually mean and why is it required? 

I keep meaning to do the eclasses but have not done them yet.  I am sure the answer is there but I figured I would ask real quick and figure out what to do if I do not have a cooler.  I do have an extra fridge in the garage where I put my meat that is marinating.  The garage is also cold this time of year.

It's not to get the meat cold. Just think of the "cooler" as an insulated place, like a thermos. So you wrap the meat in foil, put it in a cooler, like an igloo or small yeti with a towel and the meat stays hot and the juices get re absorbed into the meat. This gives great leeway when planning dinner and you are waiting on the meat to get done, cause it gets done when it wants, sometimes hours early but better than late. If you don't let the meat rest and reabsorb it's juices, the juice will run out and you will actually dry out your meat.

LOL on Zombie thread. 

It was recommended to use the search feature up top and thus this is what came up to answer my question.  lol  

More than likely, this will not be the only 'Zombie' thread that I resurrect.
The search feature is hit-or-miss, so no one is gonna fault you for asking a question that has already been asked, BUT...

You should really should have started a new thread, with your own subject line.

I think you would have gotten far more responses that way.

Welcome to the boards

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky