10 lbs Butt and outside temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brucec

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
KS
I'm smoking a 10 lbs pork butt for Christmas lunch.  I plan on putting it on around 11pm the night before.  Nightime/morning temp is supposed to be in the lower 20's/upper teens.  I'll be smoking these on my propane Masterbuilt 20050611 smoker.  Is there anything special to keep in mind when smoking in these frickin' frigid temps? 

Brucec,

Those are some cold temps. I used to have a smoker similar to yours. They do not do well in cold temps due to the thin metal shell. However, after research on here I found a lot of guys use a welding blanket to wrap theirs in. I found an old heavy quilt laying around the house and wrapped it around the top, back and sides. This made the world of difference in temp control. I would smoke it between 225-250 for about 2 hours per pound. With that being said it might not be done by the time you are ready to eat so smoke it over night at these temps and wrap it in the morning in a few layers of aluminum foil. this will help steam the meat cooking it a little quicker. If it is still not getting hot enough throw it in the oven at 275-300. Butts do well cooking hot and fast. Make sure you let it sit in a cooler wrapped in a towel for atleast an hour before pulling. Hope this helps. Good luck

If it were me using my propane smoker, I'd be babysitting it and praying the wind stays consistent. I was doing a butt a couple of weeks ago with a steady wind. Had to step away for an hour and, of course, the wind quit. Came back and the smoker temp jumped 35 degrees.

As long as the wind stays some what steady (or none) and the outside temp doesn't fluctuate too much, your smoker should be able to keep up and stay somewhat constant.

Ron

Thanks guys.  One other question:

Last time I smoked a butt, I didn't mop it with anything.  It wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I was smoking it with some beef back ribs, and ran it on the higher side of 250.  I plan on keeping it down toward 225 this time.  To mop, or not to mop?  That is the question...

Butt went in at 10:45pm.  Outside temp has been consistently 22 degrees.  It's breezy (for Kansas, anyway - some folks might actually call it wind :-)  ),  and I'm seeing some pretty wild fluctuations on the Maverick, but able to get it to stay pretty consistently between 225 - 235.  Put in a 3rd round of Hickory/Apple chips at 2:00am, and spritzed with Apple Juice.  Smells good, but I'm tired!

Outside temp.  Sprints to and from the  smoker to adjust temp are getting faster and faster.  It's frickin' cold!

Wind break I threw together with some scrap plywood.  Not sure if it's helping, but I figure it sure can't hurt.

Here's what she looks like at 2:00am.

Went to bed shortly after last post.

Got tired of fluctuations setting off the alarm on the Mav, so I set the range at 215 - 255.  Woke up at 7:30am and temp was 219.  HOpe it wasn't there too long.  Went out and spritzed, and turned up the heat a bit.  Outside temp is 20.

Time for coffee!

Merry Christmas all!

This is AFTER seven of us ate Christmas dinner off of this butt.  It was a big hit.  Went nicely with twice baked potatoes, bread, salad, fruit, and pumpkin pie.  I'm full, and there's plenty of leftovers.  Smoker's cleaned up and put away.  I think it's about time for a Christmas nap.

I LOVE MY SMOKER!

(wife loves it, too!)

Thanks to all of those who are willling to give advise around here.  This site is a huge help for those of us who don't do a lot o' this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky