(1) Boston Butt Comin Up !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hhersh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Beautiful East Texas pineywoods !
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif
......Its gonna be my first. How 'bout some of you veterans checking my plans: Ive already slathered it with mustard and shook on a generous amount of rub then wrapped it in plastic wrap. I will start the smoke early Saturday AM. I will put the butt out to acquire room temp before placing on my Electric Gourmet ECB. I will then unwrap it and reapply rub and insert temp probe. After placing on top rack I will let it smoke for approx. 4 hrs. with out peeking. When it gets to about 150-160*, open and spray with apple juice every hour turning over each time. At about 175-180* I will spray well then double foil it and continue to 205*. Remove at 205* wrap in towels and place in a cooler for 2-3 hrs. Does this sound right ? If not please advise, thanks, Harold
eek.gif

You've been listening well young skywalker
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
how bigs your butt (pork) what kind of smoke and i sure hope you have a camera
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
keep us updated and good luck

Will definitely produce a fine product. I take mine to 195 and then ftc for two hours when done in my Bradley Electric. I also use apple juice for quick sprays periodically and then about 1/8 cup before foiling. Have fun and enjoy.

Ahhhh, Grasshopper, well done, you are a fine student of the smoked arts!!! Best of luck Harold, remember, don't let the stall shake ya. Can't wait to hear how it comes out.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well, let's see.....

Since I can't eat pork... (allergic to it), and since I do cook it at the comps, I will give you my insight on it. Sounds good. My only question is, why are you going to take it out and let it warm up to room temp before putting it on to cook???? I don't, and it turns out great, at least that is what everyone says... even the judges. I just took 12th out of 40 teams last week. Not too bad for cooking it "blind". Can't taste, have no idea what it is like, just rub, cook, spray, pull and turn in..... I pull mine at around 190, and let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.

Let us know how it turns out, and do take some pics.

Bill

Well, I got the Butt and two fatties going after a false start...
frown.gif
I forgot to insert the temp probe into the butt. I had to disassemble down to the second grille and insert the probe, oh bother. I just checked the smoker temp and it is humming along at about 240*. Pix to follow if I can figure out how to upload from this new camera.....
icon_confused.gif

6f50bc36_vbattach12506.jpg

21a6c02e_vbattach12505.jpg

the smoke should roll around inside the smoker, getting in the meat from the top. i don't know what the smoker you are using for this smoke looks like though. i have placed meat on top of foil before in the smoker and it got plenty of smoke. just my observation.

PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif
We had the fatties for lunch. One fatty was an Owens, the other was a Guatney (sp), the Owens was excellent, but the Guatney had a lot of filler in it....my advice: buy Owens. OK now to my butt, the temp is on the famous 150* plateau. I removed the foil from under it, replaced it on the top grille of the smoker, and doused it good with Motts apple juice. I am now waiting for the temp to hit about 170-175* then I am going to foil and smoke to 200-205*......and the drama continues
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

7e078508_vbattach12511.jpg

5059b024_vbattach12512.jpg

.......I believe we'll slice this one since i've never eaten a pulled pork sammich before. Hey....there's always the next one
icon_twisted.gif
By the way it's now 5PM and i'm still stuck on that plateau that i've heard so much about at 154* it's been there for 3 hours
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

And boy it was worth the wait ! My thanks to all of you who helped me with advice and encouragement. I finished it Saturday nite at 10:30. That process of foiling, putting in the ice chest, etc. really works. When I removed the butt from the ice chest, the bone fell out by itself ! Talk about tender. Thanks again all here's the result. CHECK OUT THAT AWESOME SMOKE RING IN THE 3RD PIC.
5292bceb_vbattach12544.jpg

39b8aa8f_vbattach12542.jpg

9ae08485_vbattach12543.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky