1/4 tube for offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alex427

Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
Hi all , I have access to some decent welders etc so want to make a heavy duty offset smoker. Theres a stock size 508mm x 6.3mm thick tube but I am struggling to get hold of any at a reasonable price. I want about 1.5 metres. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id be grateful. I can get it but its either a 10 metre length of minimum £500 order all of who make it unviable. I do know it should cost about £90-110/metre if I can get a small enough piece . I would consider other similar sizes , maybe someone has an offset ?

Reactions: JLeonard
I have an old air receiver tank which I bought to make one but haven't had the time. You might be interested. It is about the size you are looking for. Located in Hinckley. I have attached pics of it and the design I was going to make. £150

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 9
  • BBQ 03.jpg
    BBQ 03.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BBQ 02.jpg
    BBQ 02.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BBQ 01.jpg
    BBQ 01.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi , probably a bit far away. Whats the diameter? do you know the thickness?
thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
I can't measure either of those unfortunately but the circumference is about 1450mm so diameter should be about 460mm. It is a pressure vessel so should be decently thick. I had plans similar to yours. I looked into using pipe but this came a long and seemed spot on and a lot of the fab work would not be needed. Unfortunately I am moving out of the country before I could get to it so the plan has to be postponed for the foreseeable.

My idea was to make a reverse flow offset smoker with a very thick baffle plate running the length of the bottom. This would act as a large thermal mass fully inside the chamber which is directly in contact with and deflects the hottest part of the exhaust but is not in contact with the outside air. I think this would make a decently stable system as if the baffle plate was heated with a gradient due to the offset nature of the system it would be the inverse to the air temperature gradient above it in the main chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky