1/4 inch door gap? Manufacturing defect?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KiszkaBBQ

Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
Hi all,

Just got myself a Masterbuild Propane smoker MDS230S. As I set everything up, I realized that all along the hinge side of the door, there is a gap that's almost 1/4'' big. At first I thought that I may just want to seal it but now I am thinking that my unit is just poorly welded and I should return it. Is this big of a gap acceptable and should I attempt to seal it or should I get a new unit? I can literally see the racks inside at a certain angle.
smoke gap.jpg
Thank you for your input.

Pull the door off, Bend the cabinet part of the hinge back toward the cabinet and reinstall the door, then seal the door and call it good.

A few love taps with a hammer should get you better than factory

I have the same model and to be honest, I have not ever noticed that. It's possible that a small gap is there. I'd probably just seal it and call it a good job unless you're comfortable doing what JJS suggested. I would find a way to most definitely make the issue worse if I tried that!

But it's a really nice smoker- just get some other thermometers since the one on the door is really not accurate.

I know from experience that a rubber mallet works as JJS suggested. My first masterbuilt looked like your picture. I was able to tap the hinge back with a rubber mallet. I ultimately returned it because the entire door wasn't square to the body, and there was no fixing that with a mallet.

Get some wood stove gasket material and fix it... You are going to make several more modifications to it anyway.. if you want it to cook right...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky