Yes Beef Ribs and Potato Roses with Poppy seed slaw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Yes Beef Ribs and Potato Roses with Poppy seed slaw

First off I have been MIA, off and on for a couple weeks just a couple minutes at a time, sometimes life just sucks

Now on to this cook I did Friday just as the f...ing big storm hit Nova Scotia again,

Started of with a small pack of 3 bone beef ribs ( beef grilling back ribs on the package )
Only salt , ground black pepper and touch of garlic powder

DSC_7889.JPG
DSC_7892.JPG

Into the smoker at 275 deg. with black cherry chips and 1 chunk
After couple hours , starting to look good

DSC_7900.JPG DSC_7901.JPG
When they were down to roughly an hour and a half to go I started to make the Potato Roses

Sliced up potatoes nice and thin, laid out 2 strips and topped with the potatoes, make sure they over lap

DSC_7893.JPG DSC_7894.JPG
As best you can roll them up and place into a greased muffin tins Next time I will not peel them as it might give an even better look when finished

DSC_7896.JPG DSC_7897.JPG
I than mixed up some melted butter with pepper ( no salt because of the bacon ) dried parsley garlic powder ( you could add what flavours you would want to have )
In the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes , than covered and cooked for an other 30 minutes ( to make sure the bacon was cooked inside, then the last 15 minutes uncovered
( I did pull and remove some of the fat that built up in the tray and the empty cup )
DSC_7898.JPG
DSC_7899.JPG

So the ribs are at 172 IT so I wrapped them and back in for an hour, than pulled , took a look and smell Mmmmmmm.
took in house and let rest while the roses were finishing up in the oven.

DSC_7902.JPG DSC_7906.JPG

So all rested and ready for supper, here is the cut shots

DSC_7907.JPG DSC_7908.JPG
DSC_7909.JPG DSC_7910.JPG

These were done great for my liking , and sorry on the last 15 minutes for the roses i topped with a little grated cheddar

DSC_7911.JPG DSC_7912.JPG

Here is my supper with a little poppyseed coleslaw

DSC_7913.JPG

DSC_7914.JPG

DSC_7915.JPG
DSC_7916.JPG
DSC_7917.JPG
DSC_7918.JPG

The ribs were so juicy and full of beef flavour, and the potato roses , great with all the bacon flavour and crispy edges,
This is a meal I was really looking forward to . And I was very happy and I enjoyed as i was eating by myself

This was fantastic and will be done again , and of coarse I will test other flavours , maybe thin sliced onions in the roses , different spice profile on the ribs, but that is what it is about.

Thanks for looking ]

David

Side notes about the weekend
Mona was away for 12 days to see her other sister in BC, coming home tomorrow, ( which was Saturday ) But now the storm is going crazy
lightning and thunder and none stop heavy rain. In the end we had 200mm -300mm in our area, We were hit with the most in Bedford and Sackville.
10 pm I went to the basement office to post this ( did not happen until today Sunday ) as i got to the bottom steps I was greeted with my new indoor pool.
After I stopped swearing I got the shop van from shop and went to work , finished just in time to pick up Lovie at the airport Saturday morning.
On the way to the airport i was not sure if I would make it as all night long I was getting Alerts on phone saying roads everywhere closed form the flooding.
Cars were everywhere just abandoned from during the night before.
The storm was just down to rain by this time and her plane made it in. But we were the hardest hit in NS. I had pulled out the boats and glad I did there were a couple Pontoon boats floating around in the morning , they were quickly gathered up.

Thank god there was no real wind at all it was just freaky warm and still not counting the HEAVY rain.

All good today , just clean up and I found where the water came in at . So digging up the side end of house and fixing today .
Never had water in the basement ( from the outside ever lol ) Everything can be fixed , just a pain to have to .

Sorry for the rant , just another day in paradise, lol

David

Attachments

• DSC_7920.JPG
    DSC_7920.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 10
Holy hell David, you laid down a culinary clinic on us, everything looks out of this world! Bravo Sir!

PS. Sorry about your basement problem.

Thanks Dave for the love and the comment

Very nice of you to say. and nice to get back to some smoking and posting

It was a great meal and the potato roses were a real treat that worked out nicely
Will do them again for sure with different flavours just to try.

As for the basement, it is just stuff, not enough to make a claim . Just my time and energy,

David

Master class meal David! Really love all of it. Flooded basements suck. My old place was in an area with a high water table and fairly frequent power outages. I learned to hate my sump pump and basement there.

Just Amazing David. You took this one to another level my friend. Just continue to just amaze me. Good luck on the clean up. I off to the river. I setting up a Bloody Mary bar this morning.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That's a beautiful meal David! Water in the basement sucks... always! I think Brian's bloody mary bar sounds like the best idea!

Ryan

Sucks on the basement issue! Seems you guys can’t catch a break between the fires and heavy rains. Hopefully life will even out soon for ya.
now…. That meal is gorgeous! Like jcam222 jcam222 said… a master class in cooking. Looks like something from a high dollar restaurant.

Jim

Man that whole meal looks amazing David and love the potatoes!!

Sorry about the basement but hopefully it'll be any easy fix....and easy on the back😁!

Keith

Master class meal David! Really love all of it. Flooded basements suck. My old place was in an area with a high water table and fairly frequent power outages. I learned to hate my sump pump and basement there.

Thanks Jeff for the comment

It was a very good meal , one of the best Beef rib meals I have done ( not counting short ribs they are my fav )
And the potato Roses were fun for the first time , next time I will add my own touches to them , as always lol

As for the basement, water sucks and glad Mona was not home yet as she just loses her mind when S##T happens, so it was easier just by myself.
First time to have the basement ( at this house ) flood from the outside, We have had water from inside problems, can you say over flow sewage pump with a smile on your face . Not me .

David

• Haha
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Outstanding meal!!! Love the rose potatoes.
Hope you didn't suffer any damage with the flooding.

Thanks Bruce for the like and the comment

Yes the rose Potatoes were great loved the bacon ( who does not ) and the crispy edges . Almost like mini scalloped potatoes , well sort of.

Not a lot of damage mostly just papers and stupid stuff, thank god for shop vacs. And strong back, and some cursing. lol.
I know of others that had feet of water in theirs, so again we lucked out with only inches .

David

The meal looks amazing. I too will need to try the roses. Sorry to hear about the storm, but as you have already said, it’s just stuff and your family is good. Glad to hear.

Just Amazing David. You took this one to another level my friend. Just continue to just amaze me. Good luck on the clean up. I off to the river. I setting up a Bloody Mary bar this morning.

Thanks Brian for the love and the comment

Nice of you to say Brian, it was a very good meal, and it was all for me , And The left over plate came in handy the next day.

A Bloody Mary bar , That river you go to sounds like a happinin place , lol.
Good on you Brian, couple Bloody Marys, no one will even care about the fishing

Left over for the next day

DSC_7920.JPG

David

Reactions: 02ebz06
That's a beautiful meal David! Water in the basement sucks... always! I think Brian's bloody mary bar sounds like the best idea!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the comment

Yes was a very good meal, I really enjoyed it.

And you Brian's Bar at the river sounds like the place to be , lol

I did not have enough water in the basement to have a floating bar , but it was always a wet bar, lol

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Awesome meal David! The rose taters look downright tasty! Sorry to hear about the basement.

Thanks Steve for the like and the comment

these were fun to do and loved the crispy edges , and I will ramp them up next time with more add ins, but you know that is how we roll.

Thanks about the basement, little water damage , that can be fixed and outside hand digging sucks but better than some folks I know.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky