Wings….OH ………WINGS!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Extraordinary wings! I've got some butter powder I always forget to try. Hope I remember it next time I do wings.

Extraordinary wings! I've got some butter powder I always forget to try. Hope I remember it next time I do wings.
Thanks jcam! It’s a nice add for sure, I’ve been adding it to all my rubs as of late and rather like it!
"You can be my wingman anytime!"
Thanks Buckey…..just don't jet wash me….LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buckeyedude
So the wife informed me that she wanted an easy dinner today and said I could do wings…….

So started with 3 packages of the Costco wing packs they sell. I dust these with corn starch and work it in really good then a heavy coating of a modified Jeff’s Org rub (Ie for those that have his recipe, I add 50% more of the key spice ingredients, 2 Tbsp of raw sugar and 2 Tbsps of powered butter) and then I let them set up a bit….
View attachment 668808

I do this on the upper rack of the Weber…..wings oh wings!
View attachment 668809
I run all 4 burners at mid temp and that keeps the chamber right at 375-390…
View attachment 668821
I turn them about 15-18 mins in…..
View attachment 668810
I continue to rotate them to get a nice even roast….I take them to an INT of 200 which is about 35 mins on the heat…..this renders the fat and gives them a nice crispy skin….
View attachment 668811
Bingo……
View attachment 668812
Man this just brings a smile to my face!!!
View attachment 668813
Had to have an easy side so that was a good old salt crusted Idaho russet!
View attachment 668815

The easy dinner plate of wings and potato’s (topped with cheese, ranch, bacon, & GO)
View attachment 668814
Wings…..OH……….WINGS money!View attachment 668816
Damn that looks so Good!!!

I was never a big fan of wings because they were so much work to eat for so little meat but I have slowly come to the dark side and have learned to enjoy them.

It started with Korean Fried Chicken KFC which I first tried from local Korean restaurants and expanded from there. I haven't gotten to the point to make them myself but am getting close.

What you have there looks amazing and I would love to try it.

Damn that looks so Good!!!
Many thanks Red!
I was never a big fan of wings because they were so much work to eat for so little meat but I have slowly come to the dark side and have learned to enjoy them.

It started with Korean Fried Chicken KFC which I first tried from local Korean restaurants and expanded from there. I haven't gotten to the point to make them myself but am getting close.

What you have there looks amazing and I would love to try it.
Thanks 90! I love wings when they are done right….and whole wings can take lots of prep to do them right. These parts like this are really easy just season and roast…..

By using the top rack I’m simulating the kettle vortex cooking, which is just convection non-direct heat. It helps render the skin uniformly without burning them. Direct grilling is hard to do consistently (the individual parts help to). The next thing is roasting them to and INT of 195-205 ish otherwise they are soggy….wings need to render to be tasty…… hopefully this helps you take the leap……

Reactions: Redicans
Those look great. Excuse my ignorance but what does the coating of cornstarch do for the wings?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

Wings are definitely a labor of love on the grill...but so worth it when they are done. Nice looking meal!
Thanks eddie, wings can be a lot of work on the gill, but these pre-cut wings make it as easy as it can be......season up and grill away!
Those look great. Excuse my ignorance but what does the coating of cornstarch do for the wings?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:
There are actually 2 functions of cornstarch, and they are the molecular level.

First, on the raw chicken the starch attracts the water at the molecular level to act as an emulsifying agent for the chicken juice and thereby helps the rub "stick" a whole bunch better. Combined with the rub its almost like a supper thick dry bbq sauce.

The second, during grilling it protects the meat by absorbing the moisture and wicking it to the surface allowing it to evaporate as the heat increases. As the moisture evaporates a "ridged network" of starch molecules is left behind creating a crispy texture (interlaced with he rub...yum)......This "crispy" texturing for wings starts happening when the INT of the wing hits 185 (after a would be stall temp of 175-180 deg) and is about perfect at 200 ish.....(this in a 375-395 degree convection oven/grill)

As an fyi we always corn starch our hand cut fries as well.

Good lookin ' wings for sure . I never had issues cutting them up , but been buying the frozen segments at a good price .
Been using Franks Buffalo seasoning ( shaker ) that has cornstarch in it . Makes a nice crunch . Butter powder isn't listed , but makes me wonder .

Reactions: civilsmoker
Good lookin ' wings for sure . I never had issues cutting them up , but been buying the frozen segments at a good price .
Been using Franks Buffalo seasoning ( shaker ) that has cornstarch in it . Makes a nice crunch . Butter powder isn't listed , but makes me wonder .
Thanks chop! I’ve never tried franks seasoning, but I’m really not a super fan of “buffalo” sauce. It would be interesting if you added a bit of powder butter to your shaker. Ever since I’ve tried the Kinders buttery stuff I’ve become a fan of adding into my rubs. If you look in the bulk section of the GS, they usually have a gallon can of it for cheap!

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky