When to season?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nunantal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Here is a post from another source that caused me to wonder about when to season ground meat.  

" it is near impossible to get seasoning evenly mixed in meat that is already ground. Cube it, season it, do a course grind and then a final grind and you will get much more even seasoning"    

Is there a rule of thumb on this?

Wayne

I usually only do a course grind on my meat when making most sausages. I have always seasoned after grinding. Never have had a problem getting an even distribution. Typically I am adding liquid of some sorts at the same time. That helps with the distribution too.

I too grind first and mix after... I've never had any problems... most of the time when this happens.. the meat wasn't mixed enough... You have to mix until your tired of mixing... then stick your hands in and mix some more .. It will/should get real sticky and a little stiff (which is good) ...

I too mix after grind and I mix my spices and NFDM into water, beer, or wine depending upon the sausage I'm making. I've probably done a ton or so of sausage in the last decade without issue.

But, like JD said, mix till it's very sticky and then mix some more.

I've done it both ways and haven't noticed a difference. As has already been mentioned, as long as it's mixed thoroughly, it's not an issue. One thing I usually do though is mix the meat with the salt, curing salt and sugar if called for, the night before.

Yeah that. I don't have a lot more to add that what has already been said. I don't totally agree with the claim "it is near impossible to get seasoning evenly mixed in meat that is already ground".

As it relates to making sausage, I find it best and easier to add the seasoning after the first coarse grind, mix, then final grind. If I am adding a cure and there is a liquid, all those seasonings go in the liquid first and then that gets added to the meat for best distribution.

I always grind, season and stuff. I then let the sausage sit in the fridge for at least one day to let the seasonings permeate throughout the meat. Eat or freeze after that. 

Thanks for the replies.  I'm VERY new a making sausage but thought my first attempt turned out ok by grinding, seasoning and then grinding again.  Maybe this is one of those things that comes under the "that's the way I was taught" line of thinking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky