When NOT to Smoke Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Spent some time with the daughter's family this Christmas. Asked the bonehead son-in-law how his folks were doing; they recently retired to Sequim, WA. He said that there had been some black bear sightings in their neighborhood recently. Also mentioned his dad would be smoking bacon that day.
???? 1+1=?
So when I asked him, "Your dad is smoking bacon with bears around?", he had a blank look on his face for a second, then the "OH S***" look finally hit. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree in his family.

I thought bears only went after picnic baskets…
IMG_1549.jpeg

Jim

I think their area is semi-residential, so blasting away is bound to be frowned upon.

You would be surprised at the folks who applaud a bang to correct a wayward animal. I won't be pushed around by man or beast,

Reactions: DougE
You would be surprised at the folks who applaud a bang to correct a wayward animal. I won't be pushed around by man or beast,
I reckon people run on both sides, but I suspect the ones who are appalled by the idea of dispatching problem critters have never been directly affected by any. I don't go out of my way to eradicate predators even though I can freely do so, but when one is directly affecting me or my stock, it's game over.

I'm not against the act. But in WA state, discharging a firearm with human habitation nearby can get your firearm taken away at a minimum, criminal charges at worst. Also, I'm sure that unless someone was actually under threat of being attacked, shooting any kind of wildlife (outside of hunting in specific areas during a specific time, and with a tag and permit) would be subject to prosecution. State wants people to call police, or Fish & Game for that kind of thing.

That said, several years ago I was living in a mobile home park w/in city limits. It had a small creek running through it, and a children's playground nearby. One day I came home from work and saw the biggest coyote ever strolling through the playground. Luckily, there were no kids there at the time, but it could easily have snatched one up. I grabbed my treasured Winchester .30-.30, and ran back outside, but by then it was gone. Had I shot it, I probably would have lost my rifle.

I called Fish & Game immediately, and they said they would send someone out.
Two days later, the ranger shows up and asks, "Okay, where is the coyote?"
?!?!?

?!?!?
They ask even us farmers here in Kentucky to do just that, but nobody does because of the result you got from fish and game. The wheels of government agencies turn slow when time may be of the essence.

The state also has no way of knowing what is in my safe, so they wouldn't know what to come and get.

?!?!?
Paraphrasing the oft-repeated statement about the police...

When seconds count, Fish and Game is only days away.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky