Tree Nut Allergies, and Tree Nut Smoked Meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Randy1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
Had the family over for ribs recently. I knew my new son-in-law was allergic to tree nuts. When he arrived, my pellet smoker is putting out the wonderful aroma of Pecan, and Hickory. He took one whiff of the smoke then asked what pellets I was using. I said proudly, "Pecan, and Hickory. It is my own blend." He replied he could not eat the ribs because off his tree nut allergy. I had never considered there would be a link between tree nut allergy, tree nut wood smoke.

Anybody else run into this problem?

Had the family over for ribs recently. I knew my new son-in-law was allergic to tree nuts. When he arrived, my pellet smoker is putting out the wonderful aroma of Pecan, and Hickory. He took one whiff of the smoke then asked what pellets I was using. I said proudly, "Pecan, and Hickory. It is my own blend." He replied he could not eat the ribs because off his tree nut allergy. I had never considered there would be a link between tree nut allergy, tree nut wood smoke.

Anybody else run into this problem?
I've heard that if you have allergies to the wood, then yes. It can affect you. But with nut allergies I'm not sure.

I guess it would be possible. Some folks that are allergic to peanuts can't be in the same room as an open jar of peanut butter.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I know when I first had a anaphylactic reaction to shrimp (at age 47) the allergist told me to not cook it or steam any shellfish myself anymore. There went any more lobster boils.... Did like doing them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky