What's your favorite off-the-shelf/store-bought barbecue sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know why I did it but I revisited it about a year ago and I couldn't believe how horrible it was
I agree . I remember that being my thoughts when I bought some a few years ago .
Think I'll pass on trying it again .
Open Pit Original BBQ Sauce.
Good stuff . I haven't seen it here for awhile . I'll have to look closer .

Reactions: eaglewing
Most of the sauces i use are the og hughs no sugar and are served on the side, they are good but real sugar is hard to beat imo not my favorites but trying to keep the levels down

Reactions: jcam222
Open Pit. I have had it all my life and always have it on hand, love it!

Kens Cannonball BBQ sauce. This is very good, only problems are it kinda hard to find and only comes in a gallon size.

Dave

Reactions: Fueling Around
For chicken and pork we like Head Country Apple Habanero
2D873C4D-07A7-44AA-A94D-82F967A5FE9F.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
I grew up on it mixed with Fallstaff . Been awhile , but last time I had it ,,,,, I wasn't a fan . I'm gonna pick up a bottle on Friday and revisit it .

I heard a little while back that the company had changed hands. I haven't had Maull's since then. Maybe the new owner ruined it.

Gonna have to see if the Sheetz have it by me. We only have about 8 in state college
😂

Oh there’s a lot of them out that way and I’m sure they would have it, I think it’s exclusive to Sheetz. It’s been awhile since I ordered food from there, I should just ask someone in the store to buy it.

Nation wide and highly available, I just go with Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Not that it really wows me but it is a good fairly straight forward bbq sauce and is consistent, no weird flavors, and widely available. I don't like how other brands/options try to move so far away from a straight forward bbq sauce. Like what is Bullseye thinking with any of their flavor profiles!?!?!?
Exactly why I also go with Kraft Original. Sweet Baby Ray's to me is just that--too sweet. I used to like Bullseye Original until they changed the recipe to corn syrup from cane sugar. I also like to look at sauce recipes with the caveat that if the recipe contains ketchup then it's a hard pass for me. I have my own recipe that I've developed and tweaked over the years that I mix up when I have the time.

Reactions: ImmaB
Oh there’s a lot of them out that way and I’m sure they would have it, I think it’s exclusive to Sheetz. It’s been awhile since I ordered food from there, I should just ask someone in the store to buy it.
Does sheets sell it by the bottle? Heading to NC in a couple weeks and they are all over down there. Nearest one to my house is in Scranton an hour away....None here in lower NY.

I heard a little while back that the company had changed hands. I haven't had Maull's since then. Maybe the new owner ruined it.

Or maybe when we grew up on it, we were too drunk or high to notice it wasn't a real good BBQ sauce!! :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Does sheets sell it by the bottle? Heading to NC in a couple weeks and they are all over down there. Nearest one to my house is in Scranton an hour away....None here in lower NY.

No, not in the sense of just grabbing a bottle off the shelf but you would have to ask a worker at the Made-to-order kiosk where those touch screens are. I did a quick google search about it and some may sell you a bottle but charge by how many servings are in it. It sounds like some stores may not do it either…so it sounds like it varies by location and who works there. There’s a few near me (Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton) so I’m going to ask next time I get to one…Worse they can tell me is no.

Reactions: clifish
I've tried dozens of sauces over the years. The ones I consistently go to are Head Country, Swamp Boys Original, Lillie's Q Smoky BBQ Sauce, Lillie's Q Carolina BBQ Sauce (has mustard in it and great on pork), and I keep Sweet Baby Ray's around for those who crave really sweet sauce.

First I'll say that I've been making my own sauce (it's a slight variation of TulsaJeff TulsaJeff original sauce recipe) for years...so it's been a long time since I purchased sauce off-the-shelf. But I used to like KC Masterpiece pretty good. For a store-bought sauce, I thought they had a couple good varieties.

Red

Reactions: jcam222
What's your favorite?
SBR honey, with a dabble of stuff, depending on mindset. for pok its always home made carolina vinegar. Also found a copyat recipe on googl and tweak it to taste. I keep SBR's around for yankees that don't get carolina sauce on pulled pork.

Last edited:
Most of the sauces i use are the og hughs no sugar and are served on the side, they are good but real sugar is hard to beat imo not my favorites but trying to keep the levels down
Give the Sweet Baby Ray no sugar a try. I don't care for sweet much (thanks Covid) but I can tolerate that.

Open Pit Original BBQ Sauce.
Good stuff . I haven't seen it here for awhile . I'll have to look closer .
Open Pit. I have had it all my life and always have it on hand, love it!
The unsung hero of BBQ Sauce. Thankfully, they didn't miss with the recipe after ConAgra purchased the brand.

Nation wide and highly available, I just go with Kraft Original BBQ sauce.
That was my Mother's go to sauce. It used to be $1 a bottle, too.

That was my Mother's go to sauce. It used to be $1 a bottle, too.
Kraft is another good one . I bought a jar of Freddie Lee's Ghetto sauce last week . Have not tried it yet , but hear it's good . That's another local to St. Louis sauce .
I used to drive to Kansas city to buy Gates . Then they started selling it here , but now it's gone again . That's some WARM sauce . Good on chicken . Then they make Hot . Not sure I'm in for that anymore .
The bigger name BBQ joints from Missouri I don't care for . Arthur Bryant and Pappy's .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky