6 Store-Bought Barbecue Sauces That The Pros Swear By

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
But who are the pros ?

This is from those " barbecue experts " , Huff Post, so FWIW. They no longer refer to pitmasters, and call them " pit chefs " .

I think any list of store bought sauces that doesn't include Head Country, is not talking to the right people.

And the term " store bought " is very vague, is that grocery store or BBQ supply store ? Heck, that's two different worlds.

What say ye ?

6 Store-Bought Barbecue Sauces That The Pros Swear By
HuffPost....... I should stop there...... I think I will. Luckily I'm reading on a bountiful resource of like minded brethren. I'm also fortunate that my sales territory is every square inch of the SouthEast from Memphis East and South. One little clickety click on the question mark space and I can be educated.

How different is the original from the current KC Masterpiece? I've heard it was reformulated some years ago, and a lot of cooks weren't happy with the changes.
If the recipe was changed it got by me. But then again I'm no sauce expert. Our crowd prefers bbq sauce on the side.

I like Mad Scientist's take on this. If by Pro you mean someone who competes then you need to realize they want to get the judges' attention. They use stuff that you wouldn't use on you home cooked, "meant to be a meal" BBQ. After a couple of bites you've had enough. He recommends only a 1:1 mix of salt and pepper on ribs.

Notice how Aaron Franklin often uses a 1:1 mix of salt and pepper and builds on that base for some other stuff.

They both convinced me to use a 1:1 mix of only salt and pepper on my ribs and had me change another 1 or 2 of my smoking techniques. Now I'm making the best ribs I've ever eaten. My family agrees with me and that's all that matters.

Reactions: JLeonard
A lot of commercial sauces are just sickly-sweet to me. Blues hog is way over the top. The other issue I have with a lot commercial sauces is the addition of liquid smoke. I can smoke my own food with actual smoke, thank you. But they are what they are and it's impossible because the powers that be think we are grilling chicken on a gas grill and don't know how to smoke food. So, liquid smoke aside, the ones I prefer (some have the liquid smoke) are Stubbs, Head Country, Franklin, and Salt Lick.

I like Mad Scientist's take on this. If by Pro you mean someone who competes then you need to realize they want to get the judges' attention. They use stuff that you wouldn't use on you home cooked, "meant to be a meal" BBQ. After a couple of bites you've had enough. He recommends only a 1:1 mix of salt and pepper on ribs.

Notice how Aaron Franklin often uses a 1:1 mix of salt and pepper and builds on that base for some other stuff.

They both convinced me to use a 1:1 mix of only salt and pepper on my ribs and had me change another 1 or 2 of my smoking techniques. Now I'm making the best ribs I've ever eaten. My family agrees with me and that's all that matters.

Franklin does one part salt, two part pepper for ribs. From the PBS series , to his first book, to the MasterClass vids ....... its always been w part pepper, 1 part salt.

He adds to it in the PBS series. In MasterClass he just adds paprika for color.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky