Rub help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydocsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah
So, I have two pork butts that need to go on essentially now. Getting off of work late on a Friday, and remembering now that I’m out of my favorite rub. So I’m at Walmart mercy, since my favorite barbecue hook up joint is closed.

Any thoughts on the following? Just looking for a well-balanced rub that’s got some good flavor, but nothing special.

Thanks in advance!!
IMG_9603.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JLeonard
Way too late but the killer hogs would be my choice for off the shelf.

Same here as I love/use both.

Time for an update Doc😁.
Which flavor did you choose and your thoughts?

Keith
Killer Hogs for the win!! Didn't take pics cause I was in a hurry (boring...I know) but did two shoulders and they turned out great. Smoked in the RT 1250 for about 6 hours at 180, then into a pan and wrapped up tight in tin foil at 275 to a finished IT of 205.

Rested, pulled, put them in the crockpot, added a little more rub and added some of the juices from the pan (which really put them over the top). Turned out great. All for my youngest son's baptism and he was the happiest of all so you can't really ask for more.

I was kinda leaning toward the Killer Hogs...but you can't go wrong with a little SMF wisdom. Highly appreciated!! Thanks all!!

Adam

So, I have two pork butts that need to go on essentially now. Getting off of work late on a Friday, and remembering now that I’m out of my favorite rub. So I’m at Walmart mercy, since my favorite barbecue hook up joint is closed.

Any thoughts on the following? Just looking for a well-balanced rub that’s got some good flavor, but nothing special.

Thanks in advance!!View attachment 685087
I'm way late, but have never paid for someone else's mixture of things I most likely have in my pantry. Brown sugar, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, a little black pepper, and cayenne to preference.

I'm way late, but have never paid for someone else's mixture of things I most likely have in my pantry. Brown sugar, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, a little black pepper, and cayenne to preference.
I thought about it! I just wasn't gonna risk it on an important day.

I actually looked at the ingredients between the KH and Kosmos and they are pretty much what you just listed. Noted that the main ingredient for Kosmos was salt, and for KH was brown sugar...and that was the deciding factor. I have a couple jars of Yardbird at home, but its just to salty for my taste. 🤷‍♂️

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky