What to use to seal a Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wicked358s10

Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
I've looked around. I've found gaskets,RTV,etc. I'm thinking about going the RTV way. But how would I apply that? I need to seal the firebox top like the top where you open it and add wood. The food door because it lets out smoke and I want the temps to stay. So tips or tricks anyone?

Clean the area and apply the RTV along the edge cover with plastic wrap, close the door gently and let it cure. Once cured take the wrap off.

Chris

I never had any luck trying to seal the firebox. Just too hot. The best thing I came up with was the high temp felt gasket material. I use that on my Vision Kamado grill and it works great. It also works fine on the food door. But on the OKJ smoker, the firebox gets too hot and the gasket burns up, silicone RTV melts. I think the red RTV is rated at about 600* but it just doesn't hold up. I ended up just using a hammer to lightly tap around the contact points to make the tightest fit I could and that seems to work pretty well. On my OKJ getting enough heat into the cook chamber I usually have the air vent open most of the way anyway. So a little air leak in the firebox doesn't make much difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky