Cooking on a reverse flow offset cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigBryanSr

Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Fort Worth, Texas
Does anyone have any resources, articles or advice on using a Blowin Smoke reverse offset smoker? There are dampers on the firebox, chimney and going into (and outside the "rib box/ warmer". With this reverse flow cooker do open vents lower the temps? The rib box fluctuates the most and it sits directly over the firebox. The temperature control seems to be the opposite of the traditional offset.
Thanks!
Bryan

Reactions: JLeonard
I think the Blowin Smoke reverse offset smoker is the same as the HBT Smoker which I’ve been cooking for a few years now.
The dampers on the firebox door obviously adjust the air entering the firebox. More air, more flames (heat) too little air and the wood will smolder creating dirty smoke.
I use my rib box/ warmer as a warmer only, I’ve never needed that cook space. Because of this I leave the damper from the cook chamber closed, since it sits on top of the fire box it stays plenty warm to keep anything warm while your waiting for your other food to finish . If you were going to use it for cooking I would open the damper going to the cook chamber and the damper at the top of the rib (exhaust). I would also shut down the chimney damper so your heat and smoke is being directed through the rib box.
Like I said I use my rib box as a warmer, when I first got the smoker I practiced with with using the rib box as a cook chamber and I remember it being pretty consistent or at least a consistent as any offset.
If you google cooking on a HBT smoker, there a few videos posted that explain things.
Hope this is helpful.

I took a look at their web page and congrats on the new smoker they look very nice. I’m not sure what model you gave but it sounds like a deluxe model with the vertical.

I built a RF with a vertical a while back and like it very much. The exception is I have a gate that can open up directly from the fire box.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...h-vertical-cabinet-aka-the-copper-pot.268790/

From an operation perspective don’t let the vertical scare you. The RF part is simple. The trick is open the stack cap plate wide open and just use the fire box intake to regulate the temp/fire. Opening the gate into the vertical from the main cooking chamber (CC) won’t really affect the CC temp but will have and effect on the VC. The design of the VC is mainly a warming area to hold items and such. But it can also be used for vertical cooking if you like.

If you search copper pot I have many examples of different cooks in the CC and the VC. I would suggest you run it by putting about a 1/2 chimney of briquettes in the FB grate un-lit and then get a full chimney light and fully engaged. Once engaged dump over the un-lit ones. These coals will be your base heat. Then add 1-2 2-3 inch wood splits for flavor and to tune the heat. You want the splits burning clean and very little smoke. I have lots of pics in my copper pot posts showing different fires for different temps. You will have to learn your smoker but this will give you and idea on what to look for.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBryanSr
I think the Blowin Smoke reverse offset smoker is the same as the HBT Smoker which I’ve been cooking for a few years now.
The dampers on the firebox door obviously adjust the air entering the firebox. More air, more flames (heat) too little air and the wood will smolder creating dirty smoke.
I use my rib box/ warmer as a warmer only, I’ve never needed that cook space. Because of this I leave the damper from the cook chamber closed, since it sits on top of the fire box it stays plenty warm to keep anything warm while your waiting for your other food to finish . If you were going to use it for cooking I would open the damper going to the cook chamber and the damper at the top of the rib (exhaust). I would also shut down the chimney damper so your heat and smoke is being directed through the rib box.
Like I said I use my rib box as a warmer, when I first got the smoker I practiced with with using the rib box as a cook chamber and I remember it being pretty consistent or at least a consistent as any offset.
If you google cooking on a HBT smoker, there a few videos posted that explain things.
Hope this is helpful.
Thanks! Yes its an HBT I've learned. Thanks for the advice.
Bryan

Reactions: culpepersmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky