Weaver or Isosceles ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Weaver because it’s more stable you produce a slightly smaller target and it’s best for the push pull method I like for grip.

Reactions: flatbroke
There is no 'one' stance for me.
I refuse to get locked into relying on one method of obtaining accuracy and find myself lacking in a potential combat shooting situation.

I enjoy and most often shoot for fun and general practice with one hand.
Variations of aimed and point shooting from the Bullseye or Fairbairn stances.
And both kneeling and prone are not wholly unfamiliar, and neither is my backside.

When I shoot from a upright/standing, two handed stance I prefer the modified Weaver aka Chapman.
I fully extend (push) and use my bicep as a cheek rest.
But again, I'm a mover and some form of the Weaver, Chapman or Isosceles stances may serve best in whatever scenario.

I took on this mentality after a skydiving acquaintance of mine who also practiced and competed in combat handgun, was actually was ambushed while leaving his place of business at closing.
Two guys with guns jumped out of a car and demanded his nightly deposit bank bag.
He defended himself, he took a bullet in the ensuing fight but he shot two, one is in a wheelchair for life and the other ran off.
The getaway driver fled as he fired multiple rounds at the car aiming for the driver.
He told the police where he thought every shot went into the perps and car, and he was correct.
Incredible situational awareness while in a fight and wounded.

He shot from the draw one handed, he shot two handed from a deep crouch, he shot from his arse/back.
He fired aimed shots and point shooting.
He was shooting in a highly dynamic situation.
He was shooting much as he trained and competed.

The US Army has it right.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train."

Break the mold!
Learning to shoot a rifle you practice standing (offhand), kneeling, sitting and prone.
Shooting a handgun requires the same versatility.

Last edited:
Weaver.

For me...

Naturally balanced/stable.
Faster on target/more accurate.
Stable/accurate follow ups.
Easier to be aware of my surroundings.
Easier mobility.

Right eye corrected for the front sight.
Left eye corrected for distance/target.

and Chilerelleno is correct...whatever it takes.

Last edited:
Chiler and BF! The one that gets the job done…..

Let’s see……. Weav, ISO, left single, right single standing, sitting, kneeling, on the back feet first, on the belly, under a car, over the car, through the car, on the back head first (inverted view), from the holster clear twist, from the chest at draw, in the drive from chest, stove pipe clear single arm (opposite arm tied behind back) & new mag….this for both weak and strong side, shoot move shoot, move shoot move………. It’s called practice practice practice….

Reactions: chilerelleno
Same as I said earlier ............ whatever position I happen to be in should such action be required. In most cases, it needs to happen NOW, not when you get yourself situated the way you want to be.
Missed that and YES NOW…..movie standoffs are fiction!

Reactions: DougE and JLeonard
Shooting styles go out the window in a hurry, I want to fire the first and the last round if I ever have to use my weapon, If I ever have to it will be at very close range and accuracy won't be a problem, you have to get into a stance for accuracy you might be accused of starting the gun fight, I might be asked why I fired X amount of rounds into somebody?, because that's all my pistol holds. I will keep shooting till they are not a threat any more, after the first or 2nd round I might adopt a shooting stance if time allows. no situation is the same

Shooting styles go out the window in a hurry, I want to fire the first and the last round if I ever have to use my weapon, If I ever have to it will be at very close range and accuracy won't be a problem
This. If I have a chance to get the heck out of dodge, that's my first choice.

I don't own a pistol. Considering getting one as a few months ago I was driving home from work and happened on a deer that was recently vehicle struck and still alive. I had nothing practical to kill and it was struggling way to much to use my pocket knife on the throat.
Luckily another person stopped that had a pistol to dispatch.

I can fire a rifle and shotgun from almost any position. This is from practice practice practice.
When I get a pistol, I will do the same.

clueless and lost on this one.
Tactical body and gun positioning for pistol shooting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky