Turkey Dressing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its what Mom and all our relatives made when I was a kid, when Mona and I got together ,
I made it and she showed me her Mom's and it was almost exactly the same.

funny and that's why I say it is a Maritime thing. I have to send out Summer Savory to my son who lives in British Columbia for the last few years. He said he finally found it in a store out there this year for our Thanksgiving. Now that the Sobeys chain own a few different grocery chains out west now Sobeys is from Nova Scotia

David
Think I want to see a recipe!

Slider stuffing. Sounds interesting. We don't have any White Castles around here, but they do sell their sliders in the local grocers freezer section.

Chris
Saw them before but made the mistake of looking at the nutritional info... put them back. What the heck, I take pills for that... should have tried them! Gonna have to look up White Castle website. I love stuffing but my wife... No.

Ryan

Not one thing I don't like about stove top . I have 3 or 4 boxes in the pantry at all times .
Chris , it makes great breading for oven or kettle baked chicken . Just run it through a food processor or whatever to make it int crumbs .
I also use it to think soups or gravy .

bill ace 350 bill ace 350 You have me thinking of the Pork chops I had when I was a kid . Nice bone in chop covered with stuffing , the baked in the oven .
I have to try the stoveslop for breading sounds great. Growing up my mother would always make the stuffing from scratch, she would cube up the bread, dry it a bit then add spices and cook for Thanksgiving. One year she had stoveslop and never made her own from scratch again. We do what gmc2003 gmc2003 and doctor it up minus the apples.

Reactions: chopsaw
Think I want to see a recipe

Ryan I knew I posted it here before , took me a bit to find it . It was hidden in this post.

We always make this stuffing with a turkey . Funny my wife's family and my family made almost exact same , before we even meet.
When we make it now , we use 10 pounds of potatoes, it makes a lot. But we love our turkey and stuffing sandwiches.

This is a taste thing as I make it , but this is a very good break down, , just lots of mixing , mostly by hand , and lots of butter, normally I do not put in celery , but for the pastry bag chickens I did , and it was good in there .

So for the small amount I made yesterday just for 1 meal.
4 med sized potatoes - boiled than mashed
4-5 cups of lightly dried sliced bread - diced up in small cubes
4-5 tablespoons butter
1/2 large onion diced small ( approx.1/2 cup),
1 stalk celery diced very small ( approx. 1/4 cup )
salt to taste
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon Summer Savory, not sure where you are ,
if you can get this. It is an east coast thing. My son lives in BC Canada . We send it out to him
mix all really well. Bake in the over 350deg. for 30-40 minutes.
When we are having Turkey I always pour a little juice from the roasting pan on top while it is cooking. But not needed for this

Hope this makes sense, if not give me a shout

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I gotta have sausage, onions , chicken stock and some heavy cream along with poultry seasonings in mine. Relative to Stovetop what's not to love. Fast and tasty. I ate many a box as a whole meal in my younger days. Great with some cheese melted on it too.

Ryan I knew I posted it here before , took me a bit to find it . It was hidden in this post.

We always make this stuffing with a turkey . Funny my wife's family and my family made almost exact same , before we even meet.
When we make it now , we use 10 pounds of potatoes, it makes a lot. But we love our turkey and stuffing sandwiches.

This is a taste thing as I make it , but this is a very good break down, , just lots of mixing , mostly by hand , and lots of butter, normally I do not put in celery , but for the pastry bag chickens I did , and it was good in there .

So for the small amount I made yesterday just for 1 meal.
4 med sized potatoes - boiled than mashed
4-5 cups of lightly dried sliced bread - diced up in small cubes
4-5 tablespoons butter
1/2 large onion diced small ( approx.1/2 cup),
1 stalk celery diced very small ( approx. 1/4 cup )
salt to taste
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon Summer Savory, not sure where you are ,
if you can get this. It is an east coast thing. My son lives in BC Canada . We send it out to him
mix all really well. Bake in the over 350deg. for 30-40 minutes.
When we are having Turkey I always pour a little juice from the roasting pan on top while it is cooking. But not needed for this

Hope this makes sense, if not give me a shout

David
Thanks David! I'll have to order some summer savory, for something else I wanted to make as well. What type of flavor does it have? I'm sure I looked it up before but don't remember.

Ryan

Thanks David! I'll have to order some summer savory, for something else I wanted to make as well. What type of flavor does it have? I'm sure I looked it up before but don't remember.

Ryan

It has its own flavour, but when we smell it cooking , it just takes you back to Christmas of Thanksgiving , up here anyway, lol

Very light taste but a nice strong smell of herbs, I love it in and on a few different items.

I am going to PM you.

Here is what Gordan Ramsey says about it , if you can believe him, :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Summer Savory.JPG

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky