Vertical Smoker Firebox, offset or underneath?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stranded in Iowa

Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
Hello All, Let me introduce myself with my first post. I currently own a Oklahoma Joe Highland smoker, Treager Pellet smoker, Bradley electric smoker and the old faithful Weber Kettle grill, which I probably use more than any of them with great results. I usually smoke the usual ribs, brisket, hams, jerky, breakfast sausage, pork butt/shoulder, etc. Would like to branch out into cold smoking as well. Want to upgrade to a custom built vertical smoker, or possibly just build an actual smoke house. Looking to have more space to hang meats and sausages and ability to cold smoke. Would like to hear your thoughts on the firebox being offset or directly underneath on the vertical smokers? Leaning towards offset, as I believe this might allow more options for cold smoking. I see advantages to both. Most of the offset vertical smokers I have seen are the Big Box Store types, definitely not going that route. Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hi there, I’m new to the forum and just working out how to navigate. I want to build a vertical smoker, does it have to be stainless steel or, can I just use normal steel. Any info is much appreciate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky