Venting a smoker in a shed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I cant remember the exact number for a roof vent , but I want to say 18 " . You are trying to avoid a down draft coming over the high part of the roof . I'm not sure at what point the length of the vent affects the operation of the smoker itself . I think I would try going out the back wall with a larger diameter pipe . The larger pipe causes a lower pressure route for the smoke to seek , and keeps the original length of the factory stack . Maybe . Just thinkin ,,,but some facts behind the thoughts as well ..

Chop
It is a pellet grill which is forced air so a lot of those "facts" don't mean squat in this situation.
I'd hard pipe it through the wall and see how it goes if you're trying to keep smoke out of the shed.
If it doesn't work you could always go back to the gapped airspace that you have now.
Sweet looking set up.:emoji_thumbsup:

It is a pellet grill which is forced air so a lot of those "facts" don't mean squat in this situation.
It's about ambient air pressure coming off the roof . Down draft from the ridge , gable or eves being greater than the exhaust pressure coming from the smoker itself . I don't care if it's forced air or not .
My comments to the OP were correct in 2017 , and correct today .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1MoreFord
Apologies for replying to an old thread, but I was doing a search as I am looking at building something like this for my pellet smoker and gas grill. I was going to have 1’ x 3’ ish windows on one of the long sides. For ventilation I was thinking of just having an attic fan that would run while smoking.

Well I never noticed this post and I thought I did a good search before I made mine.

rmeugene rmeugene , the window should work . I just have a pitch flat roof on mine with the front and back rafter
areas still open ( screened in to keep the critters out )
Not sure about the ceiling fan , if it would mess up the draw on your smoker or not without an upper vent of some sort .
What still roof are you doing

David

DSC_2122.JPG DSC_2131.JPG DSC_2171.JPG

DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG DSC_2256.JPG

Well I never noticed this post and I thought I did a good search before I made mine.

rmeugene rmeugene , the window should work . I just have a pitch flat roof on mine with the front and back rafter
areas still open ( screened in to keep the critters out )
Not sure about the ceiling fan , if it would mess up the draw on your smoker or not without an upper vent of some sort .
What still roof are you doing

David

View attachment 656171 View attachment 656172 View attachment 656175

View attachment 656173 View attachment 656176
You don’t have issues with smoke accumulation? I will be building mine off of the back of an existing shed. It will be about 10’x10’. Where it attaches to the existing shed it will be 10’ high and pitch to I would think around 9’. Whatever my BIL builds! I am using this as an example. Service door in short wall and windows in the long wall.

Attachments

• 3887E6A1-9510-42F4-AFFF-A46379EC42DB.png
    3887E6A1-9510-42F4-AFFF-A46379EC42DB.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: DRKsmoking
rmeugene rmeugene
You don’t have issues with smoke accumulation? I will be building mine off of the back of an existing shed. It will be about 10’x10’. Where it attaches to the existing shed it will be 10’ high and pitch to I would think around 9’. Whatever my BIL builds! I am using this as an example. Service door in short wall and windows in the long wall.

Only once I had a smoke issue , I had too many chips ( I normally use a few chips with my chunks to get it going ) in the pan to start the smoke. It looked like the building was on fire smoke coming out both front and back of the roof.

I am thinking of adding a vent out the back wall so I can start cold smoking and have a good draw for that as no heat really. But it works well now just doing my reg smoking.

The plan sounds good, my soffits are open front and back so I have a place for the air to roll out.

1 foot rise ( or slope ) in 10 feet is not much and I cannot see where you are so not sure if you get snow or not.
You should go steeper than 1/10, just for better run off of rain and snow.

And I like the Dutch door I made so I can keep the bottom closed while I am away and stops any animals from walking in. lol
While working i yard I can just stroll by and see if all is good. Can see my inkbird temps on the wall. or check my phone.

Hope this is helpful

David

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky