Vegetarian Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
So I am having some family over and I got thrown a curve ball that someone is bringing a vegetarian.
I am planning on cooking a beef tenderloin for the rest of us but don't want to just throw sides or a salad at this girl while the rest of us feast.
Does anybody have a good and simple vegetarian dish they can recommend? maybe something I can put on the smoker.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thats a tough one and depends on the level of vegetarian. Some still eat fish etc. Every Thanksgiving one of our party does the vegan thing and they bring their own to the fray. I recall a few years ago she brought a "tofurkey" and cooked it in the oven. I think it was just a turkey breast, not a whole mock bird. FWIW it didn't taste bad, just nothing like turkey. I would cruise the vegetarian cooler section at the grocery for inspiration. That, and the obvious would be to ask the direct question to whomever is bringing the vegetarian.

I don’t have an exact recipe for you but a suggestion is a veggie egg bake. Bread, eggs, milk, cheese, spinach, that kind of thing. It’s hearty and you may want to sneak some yourself.

I found out she does milk and eggs and cheese. I'll look around and see what fits, maybe a quiche of some sort
Sounds like the perfect spot for a quiche. I made this one on the kettle with various meats, but it can be adjusted for those who prefer veggies.

1674570271070.png

1674570345831.png

Chris

As said above there are a lot of very good veggie options. Morningstar makes the best as far as we are concerned. We eat a lot of veggie meals & I gotta tell you their fake ribs are pretty darn good.
Al

Reactions: Newglide
I have done veg stombolis, pizza dough wrapped and filled with onions, peppers, spinach, mozzerala cheese and sauce and into the oven or on the grill.

I had to toss this into the fray...Seitan

Several years ago while in the throes of a "mad kitchen scientist" flare-up (a lifelong affliction!), I decided to try vegan "meat" and found a method online where you "wash" a dough to extract the gluten and made seitan...to my UTTER astonishment, it wasn't half bad!

I then made it again using vital wheat gluten similar to the linked recipe (no need to wash dough!), and it worked just as well.

I formed it into a rough approximation of a couple of ribs, basted with bbq sauce, and baked until the sauce caramelized...it reminded my of McDonald's McRib.

It's an option!

I like to go with a artichoke frittata, maybe a eggplant parmigiana, tho you'll have to find the recipe, it's pretty much just replacing the protein with eggplant, lots of cheese and sauce. Frittatas are easy, but experience making them helps. RAY

The thread title is "vegetarian recipe". The smart ass in me is disappointed in the responses...

Go with the frittata, or some creative smoked portabellas. We do ours with a balsamic splash and piled with whatever you choose, though I guess sausage is out.

• Haha
Reactions: Newglide and TNJAKE
Dang..I thought you were posting how to cook a vegetarian......

Actually looks like you got a few good suggestions. I'd look at what else your cooking and kinda see what would compliment the vegetarian dish. The portabellas can be cooked like steak and are actually pretty darn good. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jim

Hands down, grilled portabella mushrooms!

You can put them on skewers with veggies and have a side like rice or potatoes. This would even work for vegans if you leave out any butter and/or cheese.

Also you can grill them whole and have a nice grilled bun and same mix of grilled onion, peppers, tomato, etc. and they can make a mushroom burger.

Mushrooms are the meat of the non-meat world.

Great sides would be roasted brussels sprouts with any kind of mushrooms, onions, and a little water + knorr brand chicken bullion (it's actually vegan/kosher/halal/etc).

That side is fantastic for everyone even though it could benefit from a little bacon or ham but hey it's still amazing.

I hope this info helps :)

This may be a harsh take on this situation, but I once had a guest that was rather "direct" about being a vegetarian. I always have at least two veg side dishes with a main course. That was all I did. I try to cater to the crowd, not the individual. Another time I had some Vegan friends coming over, and I was like "oh boy!". They were nice enough to bring their own food, which I gladly cooked for them. To put it another way, If I'm invited to a vegetarian dinner, I'm stopping by Arby's on the way there.

So I am having some family over and I got thrown a curve ball that someone is bringing a vegetarian.
I am planning on cooking a beef tenderloin for the rest of us but don't want to just throw sides or a salad at this girl while the rest of us feast.
Does anybody have a good and simple vegetarian dish they can recommend? maybe something I can put on the smoker.

BBQ mushroom and veggie kabobs? :emoji_thinking:

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky