Pulled Pork for 60 people

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CrownPoint210

Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Hi All!

I'm bringing pulled pork for my local City Mission and the shelter has about 60 people. I'm assuming I will need about 55lbs of raw bone-in butts. Is my calculation close? The Mission will be providing 1 or 2 sides.

***Update***
Thank you all for your help. I was able to get just over 40lbs at Restaurant Depot. I have another question. I am going to of course start very early so I can get this to the shelter by their dinner schedule, however, I was curious if it would be acceptable for me to do the day before (when working from home), vaccuum seal, and reheat it all in a big tin pan before I go (wife's suggestion) but wanted your thoughts. TIA!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Well 30lbs raw will produce 15lbs cooked. 1/4lb per person means you will have 60 portions.

If it was my Id do 4 -10lb butts. That will give you 20lbs finished and will be 80 portions.

A big thing to take into consideration is the bun size. If they are the small cheap buns then 1/4lb will overfill it alot but if you get those huge great buns then your closer to 1/3lb per person.

In the end it just depends on how big of a portion you want to give. At 20lbs finished product it gives you 60-80 portions depending on serving size.

55lbs will give you 27.5 lbs finished product meaning you will have 110 portions.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Well 30lbs raw will produce 15lbs cooked. 1/4lb per person means you will have 60 portions.

If it was my Id do 4 -10lb butts. That will give you 20lbs finished and will be 80 portions.

A big thing to take into consideration is the bun size. If they are the small cheap buns then 1/4lb will overfill it alot but if you get those huge great buns then your closer to 1/3lb per person.

In the end it just depends on how big of a portion you want to give. At 20lbs finished product it gives you 60-80 portions depending on serving size.

55lbs will give you 27.5 lbs finished product meaning you will have 110 portions.

Hope that helps.

Brian
Brian,

Thank you so much for the guidance as this helps a lot in what I need. I plan on doing the smaller cheap buns for the 1/4lb.. Four -10lb pork butts it is and this will prevent way too much leftovers. Thanks again!

And if it appears that you may have more than 60 folks to feed, you can always go a little heavier with the sides.

Jim

I like the 40# minimum raw weight. And a good tip is to put the meat at the end of the serving line. Using one or two volunteers for dishing up the pork will also keep portion size under control.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Another thing to take into consideration is who your feeding men will eat more than women and teenage boys will eat even more usually. How many people do you figure will want a second sandwich if on the smaller buns? Always better to have some extra than to run out. Pulled pork freezes very well and tastes as good or better coming out of the freezer. Vacuum seal the leftovers into meal size packages makes a great quick easy meal. I generally add a little finishing sauce when I reheat.

When you say shelter. Are you talking about homeless or disadvantaged folks. If yes, then their appetite may be larger than you think. If that's the case than more is better than less.

Chris

How many people do you figure will want a second sandwich if on the smaller buns?
This is something I overlooked. The small hamburger buns are a good choice for the regular portion on the serving line, but having some of the Sara Lee or Kings Hawaiian rolls (slider size) available, work good for smaller appetites, or for round two.

When you say shelter. Are you talking about homeless or disadvantaged folks. If yes, then their appetite may be larger than you think. If that's the case than more is better than less.

Chris
I am starting with the women and children shelter of the City Mission. Once I get comfortable and groove cooking for this group, I will expand to the men's residence shelter.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky