Ugliest Plate Ever W/ Beautiful Potato & Bacon Dome (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Our good friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) had to go and post that incredible looking potato and bacon dome again. I just had to run it being a tried and true potato lover. I believe mine was on a smaller scale than his but tried to maintain the concept. The only question was what I planned to serve with it. Dug through the main freezer and decided on braised beef tenderloin tips with onions and peppers in a light sauce. Little did I know at the time this would be the ugliest plate I've ever posted here but it was also VERY good so thought I'd share. Presentation missed the mark by a mile but flavor profile exceeded my every expectation.

Start out with some celery, jalapenos, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, black pepper a dollop of butter. This will get mixed into the potato mixture.
001.jpg

Potatoes, the veggies, and extra sharp cheddar into a bowl.
002.jpg

Mix all that up and create one God awful looking mess.
003.jpg

A pack of my homemade pepper crusted bacon for the weave.
004.jpg

Make the bacon weave, get it in the bowl, and pack the taters in. Then flip the ends of the bacon over.
005.jpg

Cover with foil and onto the grill for an hour.
006.jpg

The tenderloin tips.
007.jpg

Into a skillet with red and green bell pepper, onions, paprika, minced garlic, black pepper, a dollop of BTB beef base, and a splash of beef broth. At this point things really start getting ugly.
008.jpg

After an hour on the grill, time to get the potato & bacon dome out of the pan. There was a LOT of grease but I tried cleaning up as much as I could. Time to go back on the grill to crisp up the bacon.
009.jpg

Another 20 minutes or so, the bacon is looking pretty good. Two pics.
010.jpg

011.jpg

Ugly personified.
012.jpg

Yes David, I actually made gravy....unlike some people :emoji_laughing: (Sorry, I just had to)
013.jpg

Bacon dome sliced.
014.jpg

Now for the coup de grace: ugliest plate ever posted in SMF. Served with a nice garden salad.
015.jpg

Close up. Try not to cringe.
016.jpg

So...it was ugly as homemade sin but the flavors were outstanding. A really, really good dinner if you can get past the visual aspect. The potato and bacon dome was absolutely incredible. Far and again the best potato dish I've ever done. A couple things to note however. I either had the potatoes a bit too dry, didn't get them packed in tight enough, or a combination of both. They wanted to crumble when I was slicing it and was very difficult to get a nice pie-shaped slice. Mine cratered but Tracy got a nice looking slice. The beef tips were outstanding. Super tender and flavor well beyond what I'd hoped for. All in all, a very tasty dinner. The only reason this one is getting posted is to give David credit for showcasing an amazing dish that hopefully others will embrace. Trust me, it's well worth it!!

This one is a wrap. Got to get Sunday breakfast going for my lovely bride. Y'all have a great holiday weekend. Stay safe, be happy, and let's get those rib entries in!!

Robert

What you talking bout Robert. That plate looks fine from here, and it sounds great!!!

Point for sure
Chris

I agree with the others... hand that plate over and I'll clean up your ugly mess! But delicious I bet it is... nice job!

Ryan

You're crazy! That looks ...... stunning, I would be happy as (insert your choice of word) to sit down to that!

Dave

Looks great to me Robert , and thanks for the compliments

Glad you tried this again and it looked like it turned out to me.
And if the flavours are there , than job well done.
And if Tracy is happy , nothing else to say.
Close up and away shots all look great

Nice dig about the gravy... thanks my brother from another mother

David

We are our worst critics! I personally see nothing at all wrong with that meal. I’d be honored to sit down to that any day!

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
What you talking bout Robert. That plate looks fine from here, and it sounds great!!!
Thank you my friend but I think age is finally taking it's toll on your eyesight buddy :emoji_laughing: As soon as I posted it and read back through the thread, I was kinda embarrassed and came close to deleting the whole mess.

Robert

I agree with the others... hand that plate over and I'll clean up your ugly mess! But delicious I bet it is... nice job!
Thanks so much Ryan but sadly there was nothing left to pass your way. Should we ever get to meet in person though I'll happily destroy another meal just for you :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky