UDS Finally Burnt Through

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Hello All,

After about 12 years of faithful service, the bottom of my UDS has finally burnt through. Actually, it appears to have rusted through, but either way, it's only going to get worse. I was able to patch it with plumber's putty to get pulled pork smoked for Easter weekend. What do you think folks, do I go out find another drum, or do I graduate to something a bit more serious? My only quip with it is that it tends to dry out the bottom of a Boston butt during a long cook, it's just too direct a heat and it scorches the bottom. Are some of you other UDS users running into the same issue? How have you solved it? One other quip actually, it doesn't hold temperature super steady either.

Anyway, just wondering if I should just keep riding the UDS horse, or change horses.

Thank you,

Adam.

Greetings Adam! Id say if you have the cash and want to try something new go for it! Lots of options out there. However, no reason to turn your back on UDS. It’s always good to have more than one option, especially one you’re used to. Why not do both?

For the UDS, it’s been a few years since I cooked on one, but I seem to recall fat side down helped keep the meat from drying out? Was that what you were doing?

Just my personal opinion but when I am presented with the chance to expand the arsenal I do so. Keep the uds, fix it. If you have the means to try a new tool then I say go for it. Each tool has a use for a different occasion in my case. The best food still comes from my custom reverse flow.

Reactions: apn73 and bigfurmn
Greetings Adam! Id say if you have the cash and want to try something new go for it! Lots of options out there. However, no reason to turn your back on UDS. It’s always good to have more than one option, especially one you’re used to. Why not do both?

For the UDS, it’s been a few years since I cooked on one, but I seem to recall fat side down helped keep the meat from drying out? Was that what you were doing?
I've been cooking my butts fat side up so that the fat renders down into the meat. It sounds like you're using the fat cap as a heat shield, is that right? If so, and it worked for you, I'll give that a try next time I cook one.

Reactions: bauchjw
If you want to try something new, what are you thinking about going to? Trust me, the folks around here can help you spend some money. 😂
Oh, I'm sure, I just love spending other people's money for them! Anyway, that's an excellent question. I've thought about a Weber 18" Smokey Mountain, but I've also been thinking about a reverse flow off-set, like a Lang or something similar. My hesitation with the Lang, aside from cost, is the refueling of the thing every few hours. I've gotten awfully used to "set it, and forget" fueling. I've also kicked around the idea of a pellet pooper, but I'm hearing that the smoke flavor just isn't very strong.

Everyone has different tastes but we just recently bought a GMG pellet grill and have loved everything that we've made on it! Granted it's not gonna give us the same flavor as a stick burner but I don't expect it to. I got it because it's simple to use. I would keep your drum and fix it or get a new one but also try something new. I only have 4 smokers and don't believe that's not nearly enough yet! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

I've been cooking my butts fat side up so that the fat renders down into the meat. It sounds like you're using the fat cap as a heat shield, is that right? If so, and it worked for you, I'll give that a try next time I cook one.
The fat side up or down is a long debate, but in my opinion it depends on where the meat is getting hit with the most amount of heat. My old stick burner and my Weber kettles the fat side goes up, but for my pellet pooper and old MES the fat side goes down. Not everybody does it that way, but if you’re getting dry meat on the bottom from the Drum you may try flipping it to protect the meat. Butts have plenty of fat internally and you could always put a bacon weave on top.

I agree with Brokenhandle Brokenhandle and normanaj normanaj completely. 22 is so much better for me, 18 inch would be personally frustrating. Nobody says I should’ve gone smaller! Pellet pooper or MES are great set and forget. AMAZN trays or tubes help a lot augmenting smoke flavor. Nothing mirrors stick burner flavor IMO, but that’s the trade off for time. Different pellet gadgets and augmented smoke techniques still provide good flavor and smoke rings.

Keep us up on your thoughts for smokers!

Fat side down does offer some protection but I've noticed thicker bark is also a result.

Reactions: bauchjw
No, no heat diffuser is being used. That being said, what are you guys using for a diffuser? Just a piece of sheet metal? Thanks!
The one I cooked on was a piece of metal with holes punched in it. You can also get some online for decent price if you google UDS heat diffuser!

Reactions: apn73
No, no heat diffuser is being used. That being said, what are you guys using for a diffuser? Just a piece of sheet metal? Thanks!

I use a pizza pan that I drilled holes in. I love my uds

WSM is a great choice.If yor'e thinking the 18" you might as well go for the 22".More room makes things easier.

If you're looking for true set and forget then go electric.
I had heard that the 22's have a hard time getting under 275, is that true?

What do you think folks, do I go out find another drum, or do I graduate to something a bit more serious?
Maybe.

I bought my first drum after the Danny Gaulden review of a BDS around 2007. He mentioned the 'Grandpa smell' and I called Rocky (the owner/fabricator) the next day, visited for at least an hour, and he shipped me one. I bought a second the following year. Drums are a serious cooker. As are plenty of others. I will always have a drum in my arsenal.
My only quip with it is that it tends to dry out the bottom of a Boston butt during a long cook, it's just too direct a heat and it scorches the bottom
Well, a drum is like open pit barbecue.
O5NuCnv.jpg

Very raised direct in a column of heat and smoke. While you're cooking...., flavor bombs of fat drip on the coals adding an old school flavor.

So there is some tending of the meats.... and you need to turn and baste to avoid scorching or burning. However, the end result is very pleasing to me.
Al5h8UN.jpg

Reactions: apn73 and bauchjw
Sounds to me like your mighty familiar with cooking on a UDS.

Cheapest way to go, seems to me, would be a new drum and a heat shield to keep from crisping up your butts. Heat shield or frequent turning of the butt, while smoking.

apn73 apn73

If it were me, I would build another drum. It appears to me that after 12 years of faithful service you have created some sort of bond with your UDS and know its ins and outs.

My guess is it wasn't holding steady temperatures because of the rusted out bottom allowing additional air to enter the cooking chamber.

I made a big mistake several years ago and sold my UDS to purchase my first electric smoker and was immediately sorry I did so. Fortunately I had another drum sitting around so I solved my disappointment by building another one and haven't looked back.

John

Last edited:
As others said, I'd stick with the drum since you know it well. Too bad you're in Suffolk, I'd give you a nice unlined drum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky