Firebox to Smokehouse piping question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmilinNSmokin

Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
All, I am planning to build a smokehouse this spring. I am drying roughcut cedar in my shop now. I’ll be running a pipe from the firebox to the smoker. A design similar to atcnick’s and cowlady’s smokehouses. A couple questions for those of you who have made a few smokers and have experience and ingenuity.:

1) Is it best to go with a 10 inch, 8 inch, or 6 inch pipe, and what is the best length (somewhere from 4’ to 10’ I would imagine is best) to run from a firebox to the smokehouse?

I will probably be using single wall pipe, and will encase the pipe in concrete, and have an elbow that comes up in the middle of the smokehouse floor. And I will have a diffuser that is removable (for cleaning), mainly to keep ash and soot from getting on the meat, and for allowing the smoke to evenly flow inside the house.

2). I am unsure about physics, but I will probably angle the pipe at about a 10° angle, sloping up to the smokehouse from the firebox to help with smoke flow. If I use a larger diameter pipe, and if I were to have the ability to put on a removable cap on either or both ends that reduced it down to a 4 inch hole, will the smoke even flow correctly into the smokehouse? I realize the smoke travels faster from the firebox to the smokehouse, and then slows down once in the smokehouse, and then exits through the exit pipe fast again. I just don’t know if the smoke will back up and not flow correctly if I try to reduce it with some sort of cap with a smaller diameter hole in it. I will mainly be smoking pork, beef, lamb, seafood & cheese.

I am still wondering about being able to do both hot smoking and cold smoking in the same smokehouse; hence the idea was to reduce the pipe size when I need to modify air flow and heat intake with a cap, but only for when I want to cold smoke cheese, or bacon. That being said, I could probably just put a smoke tube in the bottom when I’m doing cold smoking, but just trying to plan the design, and I’m probably overthinking things…

Well pipe size will depend on how big of a smoke house your building 6-8" would move a lot of heat/smoke, fire size will determine hot/cold smoking, just don't use galvanized pipe for the feed pipe, use black or stainless pipe and good luck.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well pipe size will depend on how big of a smoke house your building 6-8" would move a lot of heat/smoke, fire size will determine hot/cold smoking, just don't use galvanized pipe for the feed pipe, use black or stainless pipe and good luck.
mike243, external dimensions will be 56” x 48”. Inside will be 47” x 41” so a smaller smokehouse. I am leaning toward a 6” or 8” pipe and probable 6’ or 8’ in length. Do you think that’s about right or would you step it up to an 8 inch pipe? Everything else about the firebox in the house I am dialed in with, but just need a little advice on that one aspect of the build.

Biggest question is what type or size of exhaust pipe?
In most cases 6” is sufficient for smoke intake but remember you cannot intake more than you can exhaust. 4-7’ length is most common and 5-10* slope works well but more is fine too if you have the terrain to do that with a hill.

Reactions: JLeonard
Biggest question is what type or size of exhaust pipe?
In most cases 6” is sufficient for smoke intake but remember you cannot intake more than you can exhaust. 4-7’ length is most common and 5-10* slope works well but more is fine too if you have the terrain to do that with a hill.

Thank you for your help! I went and bought two 6” single wall Duravent 48” segments at Home Depot, then read your reply. I will run them together. Perhaps cut about a foot or 2 off. It is just regular black non-galvanized stove pipe. Should work out well and I will encase in concrete. Again, really appreciate your help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky