Turkey smoking questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just got a 5 gallon pickle bucket from the deli at my local supermarket, price was right- free. I did a post two days ago asking how to remove the smell. I cleaned it out and sanitized it, moved my beer, and took out one of the racks in my fridge ( I also have two fridges), and it fit perfectly. Extremely easy and economical way to brine a large bird. I plan on using it after the holidays to brine a pork butt.

Will anyone else be cooking the bird in the house this year? Seems like everyone's heart set on smoking...:-p It's a shorter time when you smoke it, right? We aren't going to take too long to cook our turkey either since we are using the 2-hour recipe. It involves baking it at 475 for 2 hours. I know there's a bunch of different recipes to do this, but we got this one from Safeway. Anyone heard or use this before?

I read a post about it a day or two ago..must have been yours in another thread. Were having 3 birds this year at our gathering; baked, smoked and fried. Though I'm sure whomever is baking ours is using the old school long cook method though...
Let us know how it turns out
cool.gif

You could move north. Then you just put a lid on your brine container and set it on the back porch overnight.

Turkey was the very first thing I smoked when I bought a smoker several years ago. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I put it on the smoker about 9:00 AM. We invited the neighbors over for turkey dinner. At 9:30 PM I apologized profusely and we broke out the lunch meat sandwiches. I realized later after everyone went home that the turkey was done. I was waiting for the little probe to pop out of the breast that signals it is done.
icon_lol.gif
We invited the neighbors back the next day for dinner and the turkey was very good. Oh well.
I learn something everytime I cook with the smoker.

DeejayDebi;114120 said:
Smokinfam-
If you place the turkey on the grate it won't get a soggy bottom. You can also place in a a grate within the pan to catch the juice if you choose to.

The advantage of putting it on the grate is more smoke all over the bird.
as for the second question I don't know what your asking. White meat is all but legs and thighs on a turkey and some are breed to be all white meat. You can buy just the breast secton to if you wish.

Twomill -
I can't believe you got a turkey for 36 cents a pound![/quote

It was one of those limit of two with coupon and other puchases type thing. My wife cannot go shopping without coupons; she is the one you dont want to be behind in the checkout line.
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

She tends to overbuy when it is a really good buy. I tell her she should have bought so many they should owe her money. That went over like a pine log in the smoker.

Wow...3 turkeys...hopefully you get left overs? :-p You know what is great to make with that left over turkey meat...turkey enchiladas. Beats the old turkey sandwich. Have you tried those before?

I take it no one has tried the high heat method at all?

i think BF, his recipe was designed for left over brisket.........tho i could be wrong......wouldn't be the first time.........lolol

d88de

I might hate to be behind you wife but some of those ladys know how to do the coupon thing! I never even see coupons! Guess that not the sort of thing you get in magazines like Modern Drummer, Guitar World or Home Brewer huh?

icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanksgiving was great! The 2-hour turkey worked out nicely. It was nice to rely on something to cook so fast while we spent more time on other dishes that needed it. Believe it or not, we went thru 2 turkeys and 2 hams with very little left overs! We actually had to hide some turkey so we could have left overs for ourselves!

Hope everyone's T-day was great as well. :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky