Turkey is on!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by jetsknicks1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Smoking Fanatic

Well my Thanksgiving is finally here, got a bunch of friends  & family comin over today to watch football and hopefully, have some awesome turkey. Thanks to all here who took the time to answer my questions and help me along going into my first turkey smoke. Wish me luck and as soon as my wife shows me how to download pics from the camera :), i'll put em up.

2. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]  just waiting to see the Q-views[​IMG]

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good luck buddy!

Can't wait to see the pics!

4. jetsknicks1

[​IMG][​IMG]Top photo is 1 hour in. Second one is of my ugly, much loved, home made smoker.

5. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good [​IMG]

You don't need luck, you have SMF [​IMG]

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Start!!!

[​IMG]

Bear

7. smokinal

From the looks of the turkey, your homemade smoker is a winner!

8. jetsknicks1

2 1/2 hours in and the breast is already at 140, it's cooking too fast. The thigh was only at 120. The bird started with the breast facing the heat source si I turned the bird around and closed off the vents in an effort to slow it down. If I pull it withe the breast at 160 how long can I keep it in a cooler wrapped and toweled? We're not going to be eating for another 4 hours, I obviously put the bird on too early.

9. smokinal

It will stay warm for hours wrapped up, just leave the temp probe in it & when it gets below 140 it should be carved. Even if it cools down before dinner, a big spoonful of hot gravy will warm it right up.

10. jetsknicks1

Thanks Al.

11. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Nice smoker...turkey looks like its going to be good also...

12. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Al Knows Birds!

Bear

13. owlcreeksmoker4

owlcreeksmoker4 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

pretty darn nice homemade you got there, and that turkey was coloring nicely! can't wait to see more later

14. jetsknicks1

Thanks guy. There's not a single thing on that smoker that came from the store. My buddy has 11 acres with all manner of stuff on it and everything came from there.

15. raptor700

It will keep very well in a cooler with towels.

It's not bad to have the bird done early, you want to give it time to rest anyway.

Like AL said, if you have to slice before serving, I like to lay the slices in the pan with the drippings.

And besides,It's nothing some nice gravy can't fix [​IMG]

16. owlcreeksmoker4

Ive built several myself and I can tell you those are always the best ones, hell if you wanna help me im workin on another project right now (got the blueprint posted in a thread)

17. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Geat looking bird, and that smoker has CHARACTER!  Too much fun.[​IMG]

18. jetsknicks1

My bird got to 140 really quick but now it has been stuck ther for a while. I've turned up the heat to about 275/300. Any other ideas?

19. owlcreeksmoker4

What is your time? You may just not quite have had it in long enough. sometimes the bird has to ride that TBS (thin blue smoke) for awhile to reach peak. also make sure your temp gauge is accurate

20. raptor700

I wouldn't ramp the heat up, as long as you got to 140º in less than 4 hrs , just let it go.

If it starts getting too brown, just loosely foil the bird.