Troubleshooting a ceiling fan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
My Hunter ceiling fan refused to start. The light does not work either. Which tells me its not getting power.

I checked the breakers. But there's little chance this fan is on a breaker by itself and there were no breakers closed.

So I'm thinking possibly a loose wire. But I doubt that. If vibration would've caused a loose wire it would've quit while in operation. This fan worked fine until one day I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I doubt a wire became loose while it was not running.

Any other possibilities ?

Its not easy to work on, its hanging from a 12 foot ceiling. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fan. I figure if I pay an electrician to service the fan, I'm probably already near the price of a new fan.

But I'm giving this old one , a last chance. Thinking it might be something simple.

Reactions: JLeonard
Maybe the switch in the fan or capacitor. You'd have to take it apart to see.

That's the direction I was leaning. Some electrical component that controls power to the fan and the light. If that's the case, I'm just gonna buy a new fan.

It would be a very strange thing to see it on a GFCI circuit , but you never can tell what someone else does .
Might be worth a walk through the kitchen , bathrooms and garage / patio .

Reactions: sandyut and JLinza
Since it is 12' up, I'd pull the switch(es) out and see if they have power.
A wire may have come loose in another location that is feeding this room.

Since it is 12' up, I'd pull the switch(es) out and see if they have power.
A wire may have come loose in another location that is feeding this room.

Exactly what I was thinking... Check switch first (so what if it's only 5 YO)... That will tell me where to go from there... Either back to breaker panel or towards fan... Pending the switch result...

No power to switch.. breaker panel...
Power going in switch but not coming out... Switch...
Power in and power out of switch.... fan ...

That's the direction I was leaning. Some electrical component that controls power to the fan and the light. If that's the case, I'm just gonna buy a new fan.
You can replace them pretty cheap, but like you said... if it's a pain in the butt to get to. It may be worth it.

Do you have separate wall switches for the fan/light? Or controlled with the pull chain with wall switch on?

Keith

Like chopsaw chopsaw said, check all gfci thru out the house.
Brother had no power out to patio. Found out it was a gfci tripped in the bathroom that is never used.

Well I have been through 6 of them, the electronic board goes out on most of them and the fan will only run slow, I quit buying that brand.

Has similar event,I found a couple of GFCI switches in the garage.
It wouldn't be normal for that fan to be on a GFCI circuit , but that doesn't mean someone didn't wire it up that way . I just tend to check all things , from simple to more involved .

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky