Identify a light bulb as LED ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I'm 95% sure these bulbs are LED. They were original in a Hunter ceiling fan light kit. I talked to Hunter tech support today that told me I could not use LED bulbs in the light kit on my fan. Said they did not recommend that, lights would not work right.

I've never heard of such a thing.

And if these bulbs aren't LED, then what the heck are they ?

20230620_160218.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like hogwash to me. I have LED bulbs in all my ceiling fans.
Yes, those are LED.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPG1
Got that issue in my hallway. It's a 3 way switch circuit with a dimmer on one end. I can either replace the dimmer with a LED compatible, or just replace the dimmer with a regular switch, which is what I intend to do since we don't use the dimmer anyhow.

I don't have a dimmer involved. We just need more light out of this light kit. Its in our dining room and its hard to tell if the light is on. I talked to Hunter about upgrading the light kit and they told me I could not do that either.

When I get back over to the house later, I will post what I run in the ceiling fans. Running joke from the wife is, will someone please go turn the sun on.
I don't have a dimmer involved.
Does the fan have a remote? If so, there is a dimmer built into the receiver in the fan.

When I get back over to the house later, I will post what I run in the ceiling fans. Running joke from the wife is, will someone please go turn the sun on.

Does the fan have a remote? If so, there is a dimmer built into the receiver in the fan.

Nope, no remote.

LED should not be an issue then. My house is wired such that there are 2 switches for each ceiling fixture. One for the light, and one for the fan. I have LED bulbs in all.

I run these in all my fans that take candelabra base. They will definitely light up a room!

1687307860080.png

I would have to go look, but I think the fan above the kitchen table takes 5 bulbs. Let's just say that they are bright enough to see a single grain of black pepper on a pile of mashed taters, were one inclined to look for it.

I would have to go look, but I think the fan above the kitchen table takes 5 bulbs. Let's just say that they are bright enough to see a single grain of black pepper on a pile of mashed taters, were one inclined to look for it.
Just 4 bulbs, but 4 60 watt bulbs close together in a fan fixture definitely brighten things up! I sort of did it to be a wiseass after hearing that the kitchen was too dark, but after the initial shock, she likes it.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
GaryHibbert GaryHibbert

"Phase-control dimmers were originally designed for incandescent light bulbs. These switches work by cutting a specific section of the AC voltage wave cycle. This reduces the voltage going into the light bulb.

However, not all phase-control dimmer switches work with LED light bulbs. It is important that the dimmer you purchase is compatible with LED bulbs to avoid damaging your light fixtures. Incompatible switches might lead to undesirable effects such as:

• Increased flickering of lights is highly dangerous for people with photosensitive conditions.
  • Incompatible dimmers can cause noise pollution in the form of buzzing sounds. This sound is often caused by overloaded switches, economical dimmers or incompatibility with an LED bulb.
  • If your dimmer switch is incompatible with the light bulbs, you could be wasting energy. Even if you don’t get the desired level of light, your bulbs will still produce a light output that goes to waste.
  • A reduction in the reliability and lifespan of the LED bulb and the dimmer."

Last edited:
Check not only the wattage comparison but also the color. If you get the warm white, which may be what you have it'll be really dim, the Daylight is bright and the Cool white is almost blue in tint.
1687347955310.png

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I have and bought daylight.

I suspect the bulbs in the pic in the OP, are 25 watt LED but they are daylight.

Reactions: Newglide
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky