Tri Tip Hype

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Final was able to score on a Tri Tip ( very first one ). Did a dry brine and into fridge for couple hrs, then seasoned with SPOG
20220410_135414.jpg

Fired up RT 590 with LJ competition pellets and tube of mesquite, ran on extreme smoke for 1/2 hr. Bumped temp up to 215° for 2 hrs until IT of 127°. Quick sear on gaser and in for a rest.

20220410_170015.jpg

Sliced, very juicy and tender.
20220410_171048.jpg

Chow time. . .
20220410_171531.jpg

I can now see what the " TT hype" is all about !

Oh man! Killer plate and perfect cook on that TT, Beautiful smoke ring too! I’m glad the hype didn’t let you down! Welcome to a new addiction😀
CCCB7690-2DFA-40FF-B276-A3276C6CDE59.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks great bud . I've only done one , and said the same thing you did about the hype .
Watch that grain direction as you slice . It changes as you go along . If you want across the grain that is .
Nice work .

Final was able to score on a Tri Tip ( very first one ). Did a dry brine and into fridge for couple hrs, then seasoned with SPOG
View attachment 628768
Fired up RT 590 with LJ competition pellets and tube of mesquite, ran on extreme smoke for 1/2 hr. Bumped temp up to 215° for 2 hrs until IT of 127°. Quick sear on gaser and in for a rest.

View attachment 628854
Sliced, very juicy and tender.
View attachment 628855
Chow time. . .View attachment 628856
I can now see what the " TT hype" is all about !
Nailed it, nice job!

Technically that should be cut "Across the Grain", like chopsaw chopsaw said.
Not against the grain.
It's mainly a woodworkers thing, but in wood & meat, "Against the grain" is the same as "With the grain" except in the opposite direction (180°).
LOL---Picky-Picky-Picky!!

Bear

OH YEAH! Hooked! Man I love TT's. Prices have gone up a touch, but I can grab them for about $7-$8/lb here most of the time.

You cooked that one to perfection!

Nice first TT… They are phenomenal tasting IMO!
Awesome looking plate… You wouldn’t have to call me late to dinner for that! 🤣👍🏼

BTW, you ever have some leftover TT… Makes excellent sammies! Thin slice the TT cold and dip thru some warmed up au jus! Pretty tasty… Just my opinion!

What is the recipe for your SPOG? I know it's been posted a hundred times but right now I'm lazy and taking the easy route...

Personally I would go with more cracked "P" on that tri-tip. But they are always tasty, and yours looks excellent!

Also try it with a teriyaki marinade.

Rick

I’m fortunate to live in a region where Tri-Tip is #1. It’s everywhere. After grilling way more than I can count I can tell you that even when I’ve messed up and overshot my goal of 121, it’s a very forgiving chunk of meat. There’s a lot of intramuscular fat so if I mess up and it ends up medium rare or medium it’s still good. And, if I really mess it up I just pretend I’m grilling it brisket style.

Your tri tip looks excellent! I'm a one timer as well. A fine looking plate of food as well...good to see the proper butter to potato ratio going!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky