Tri-Tip. Amazing Cook on My Pit Boss Pro Series 850

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zeke2024

Original poster
Feb 11, 2024
One of the MAIN reasons I bought the PB Pro Series 850 was for its ability to sear. Having NEVER cooked a tri-tip on a pellet grill before, I was pumped to see the results. Wow! What an absolute pleasant surprise this turned out to be. I marinated it for about 6 hours. I then cranked up the PB to 500 and set the trip on the grill. The wifi kept me updated on the meat's IT. When it hit around 110 IT, I opened up the sear plate and cooked it for about 4 minutes per side - until an IT of 140. The results are what you see here.

The searing function worked great, as did the wifi, which really helped ensure that the cook came out to perfection.

Attachments

• 20240301_181512 (1).jpg
    20240301_181512 (1).jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240301_180713.jpg
    20240301_180713.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240301_181512.jpg
    20240301_181512.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240301_181557.jpg
    20240301_181557.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 44
Damn Zeke, looks great to me!! I love Tri Tip as individual steaks or a roast. Great cut of Beef

Mr Mac loves him some tri-tip! Very well done, Zeke!

If you like your tri-tip with a little more smoke flavor, start your cook at 225-250° F and bring it to your IT to 120°, then sear to 130° and rest. You'll get the same delicious steak, but with a touch more smoke.

Thank you.
Mr Mac loves him some tri-tip! Very well done, Zeke!

If you like your tri-tip with a little more smoke flavor, start your cook at 225-250° F and bring it to your IT to 120°, then sear to 130° and rest. You'll get the same delicious steak, but with a touch more smoke.
Thank you. Having never doen this before I kinda winged the whole thing. I cranked up the rig to High, let it roll until it hit 450, then dropped the meat on the grill. I watched the meat problem and went outside when it hit 110F. I then opened the searing plate, and grilled it for about 4+ minutes Closed the plate, moved the meat to the side and let it sit for a minute or so. Brought it inside, wrapped it in foil, let it rest for about 10 minutes.

I have a few tri-tips left and I will DEFINITELY try your method next time. Thank you so much

Reactions: mr mac
You can see the grain direction in that one pretty easy .
Here's a cut across the grain .
20191215_180802.jpg
My first one I didn't know either .
Grain changed direction , I didn't .
20191216_175442.jpg
Just a heads up . You did a great job with the sear on that . Looks fantastic .
Pit Boss is a nice Pellet grill .

Thank you.

Thank you. Having never doen this before I kinda winged the whole thing. I cranked up the rig to High, let it roll until it hit 450, then dropped the meat on the grill. I watched the meat problem and went outside when it hit 110F. I then opened the searing plate, and grilled it for about 4+ minutes Closed the plate, moved the meat to the side and let it sit for a minute or so. Brought it inside, wrapped it in foil, let it rest for about 10 minutes.

I have a few tri-tips left and I will DEFINITELY try your method next time. Thank you so much
Either way works wonderfully! My fist tri-tip was over a charcoal grill many, many years ago before I knew anything about reverse sear, and such, and it still turned out great!

When I had my PB 850, I did the low-n-slow, sear method and got that great hickory smoke flavor, and that's how I do it from now on.

looks great. I like tritip because it kinda gives you a few different sections of doneness. Can cook one piece of meat and get Medium rare and medium out of one cook

Reactions: chopsaw
Damn Zeke, looks great to me!! I love Tri Tip as individual steaks or a roast. Great cut of Beef
My thoughts exactly. My wife likes it more on the medium side. My kids and I lean more toward mid-rare. Trip-tip is a very flexible piece of meat. It surprises me that this is NEVER offered in a restaurant. I have NEVER seen tri-tip on any menu - ever.

Looks great, nice cook! Love tri-tip but tough to find around here, saw some at the Amish market the other day but but at $14/lb that wasnt happening 🙁

It is probably your location. There are many restaurants out here that serve it.

Rattler's BBQ in Santa Clarita, CA

It is the main thing they serve. Best BBQ joint around me.
You are lucky. NY is mostly rib eye, strip, porterhouse, filet mignon. It is nowhere to be found in any local supermarket or even local butchers. I buy all of my tri-tip from Wild Fork. It is the absolute best!

Looks great, nice cook! Love tri-tip but tough to find around here, saw some at the Amish market the other day but but at $14/lb that wasnt happening 🙁
It is nowhere to be found in any local supermarket or even local butchers here in NY. I buy all of my tri-tip from Wild Fork. It is the absolute best!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky