Tri-tip done kinda brisket style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rons

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Today's project
Having fun with the new little MES, kinda nice not having to mess with big temp fluctuations.

9:00am Got the little MES all ready and started pre-heating it up to max temp (higher than cooking temp) so all would be hot and ready.

9:30am seasoned the outside of the tri-tip. Used onion and garlic powder, Seasoning salts, black pepper and a bit of paprika.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 20
9:45am Lowered temp on smoker down to 240 for the cook.
Put the meat on, starting just open on the grate to get direct smoke and some outer layer cooking, hoping for a nice outer shell on it. I might move it to a pan with some good juice in it for moisture and flavor later if it looks like it's getting too dry.

I'm using the chip tray thing, but have my shorter smoking tube ready on stand by if the chip tray quits making enough smoke. The chip tray works but I've noticed a few times it kinda fizzles out.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 20
11:45am (exactly 2 hours ) coming along good, 143 internal so far

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 21
How high you you taking the IT?
Going for the 'brisket' method, 200,205,210 so it's soft and tender. (toothpick test).
When it's done I'll let it cool a touch and pop it in the cooler until dinner time.

Sometimes i do tri-tip to 130 or so IT, nice an pink, slice it up, sometimes like it fall apart super well done.

One time for fun, I sliced a tri-tip flat-wise so it was like 3 big flat sheets about 1/2 inch thick each, smoked em for a few hours, it ended up like almost jerky on the outside, meat on the inside, super nice greasy juicy smoky, it was really good too. I love tri-trip, I also grind it for hamburger too, makes a killer burger.

Reactions: Steve H
I've heard of doing TT brisket style before. I haven't done that yet. Heck, I have a hard enough time even finding it. And if I do. It is almost the same cost as tenderloin!

Reactions: JLeonard
I've heard of doing TT brisket style before. I haven't done that yet. Heck, I have a hard enough time even finding it. And if I do. It is almost the same cost as tenderloin!
oh wow tri-tip isn't around a lot in your area? Here, it's in every store I go to. It's not as cheap as it used to be, I used to get a nice sized one for 12-15 bucks, now they are more like 20-28 depending on the size. Oddly, here it's hard to find brisket, once in a while one of our stores will have mega sized ones.

I myself just like the flavor of tri-tip way more than brisket, it comes out really good like this, makes a juicy kinda greasy good meat.

while i have seen this, I would never do that to a TT. TT's must be medium rare in my world. But I support trying new things...I just wouldnt try this one.

while i have seen this, I would never do that to a TT. TT's must be medium rare in my world. But I support trying new things...I just wouldnt try this one.

im telling you, it’s worth it to try. I love TT rare to MR, but this actually does have a really good flavor! It won’t be my “go to” for TT, but it’s worth it to try a few times.

Cant wait to see how this turns out!

Reactions: rons
oh wow tri-tip isn't around a lot in your area? Here, it's in every store I go to. It's not as cheap as it used to be, I used to get a nice sized one for 12-15 bucks, now they are more like 20-28 depending on the size. Oddly, here it's hard to find brisket, once in a while one of our stores will have mega sized ones.

I myself just like the flavor of tri-tip way more than brisket, it comes out really good like this, makes a juicy kinda greasy good meat.

Nope. Here it is a rare thing to see them. Which sucks. Because when I was a kid. My dad did them once a week. He was a awesome man with the grill.

Sure to each their own, I do em both ways, depends on what kind of meat I'm in the mood for. It's very good though.....

Reactions: bauchjw
Nope. Here it is a rare thing to see them. Which sucks. Because when I was a kid. My dad did them once a week. He was a awesome man with the grill.
oh man bummer, can you ask your local butcher to get a couple in for you?
cool memory, my dad rarely BBQ-ed, it was my older brother in law that got me liking it as a kid. Then I became a BBQ nut over the years, nothing like a nice summer Saturday and making BBQ all day to eat that night.

(at 163 IT now, sure smelling amazing when I peaked at it, probably wrap it at 180 or so, outside is getting really dark and some bark/crust stuff on the ends)

Reactions: bauchjw and Steve H
My dad wouldn't let anyone touch his grill. He was a devote weber man. I only know one butcher. I need to see what he can do.
Very cool with your dad

yeah maybe when they do a meat order they can grab a couple tris for ya

My dad wouldn't let anyone touch his grill. He was a devote weber man. I only know one butcher. I need to see what he can do.

where I’m at in VA they are hard to find. Sometimes really small sad ones are at the commissary, but I found a butcher who gets them for me on order from a farm in Maryland. It’s a little more pricey, but worth it. Back in San Diego it was a staple.

where I’m at in VA they are hard to find. Sometimes really small sad ones are at the commissary, but I found a butcher who gets them for me on order from a farm in Maryland. It’s a little more pricey, but worth it. Back in San Diego it was a staple.
I wonder where that cut of meat goes, seems like everyone would have the right proportion of all the various cuts from a cow

TT brisket style is absolutely delicious. Given a choice between small brisket flat or TT. It’s Tri-tip all the way. The flavor is exceptional and way more predictable out come than flats. Enjoy your meal. It will be delicious for sure.

Reactions: 912smoker and rons
TT brisket style is absolutely delicious. Given a choice between small brisket flat or TT. It’s Tri-tip all the way. The flavor is exceptional and way more predictable out come than flats. Enjoy your meal. It will be delicious for sure.
Right on, agree totally! I've done this about 20 times over the years, it always is killer good. Tonight pairing it with some monster baked potatoes with ranch dressing.. can't wait!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky