Backs and Belly....AGAIN...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...but different this time. I got Jeff's, TulsaJeff TulsaJeff , newsletter and in it was this recipe for pork belly...
Having another belly, I had to try it. I did it just like he did with the exception of the rub. Not having his, I used my own concoction...

Dry brine with course salt and into the fridge for a couple of hours. Then flip and repeat...
20231030_060129[1].jpg

Seasoned up and allowed to rest some more...
20231030_121812[1].jpg

Meanwhile, I made some ABTs except I used the sweet mini peppers...
20231030_113057[1].jpg

ABTs need a little heat so I mixed up some cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar, shredded sharp white cheddar, and a little bit of heat. This stuff has smoked scotch bonnet, habanero, and cayenne peppers. Have to be gentle with it...
20231030_111843[1].jpg

Stuffed the peppers and since I had some grilled ribeye left over, that went on top and then the bacon and a dusting of Morning Buzz Hot Honey rub...
20231030_113804[1].jpg

20231030_115108[1].jpg

If you've hung around this long, you're probably wondering about the 'backs'. I had 3 racks of beef back ribs in the freezer that I had removed from rib roasts last December when Publix ran them on sale. Loaded them up with rub and it's time for some smoke. Fired up the TMG pit with hickory...
20231030_121847[1].jpg

20231030_140743[1].jpg

Everything is done and ribs are cut...
20231030_171218[1].jpg

20231030_182219[1].jpg

This was served with corn, roasted red potatoes. Time to eat...
20231030_183816[1].jpg

The belly slices were the star of the show and Jeff's article says to sear them in a skillet or on a griddle after smoking. It really does make a difference...

Looking good.
Those back ribs look nice and meaty. When you cut them off the rib roasts yourself, you can leave some meat on them. The butcher wants most of the meat on the roasts.
And that bacon sounds wonderful. I assume those smoked bellies are bacon, right?

All of that looks amazing !! I think I would walk barefoot over broken glass for those ABT's !
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that!
I'd be following jaxgatorz jaxgatorz for a plate of that goodness!

Jim
Come on Jim, room for all!
Now that is a full meal deal, and I would love to fill a plate of that for sure.

David
Thanks David, there was plenty and you would be welcome here.
Looking good.
Those back ribs look nice and meaty. When you cut them off the rib roasts yourself, you can leave some meat on them. The butcher wants most of the meat on the roasts.
And that bacon sounds wonderful. I assume those smoked bellies are bacon, right?
Thank you Steve. Yes, ribeyes are much more valuable, but I don't trim them close when doing them for myself. I guess that the belly could be considered hot smoked bacon, just a lot thicker than most.
That meal looks outstanding
Thank you Jim.
Everything looks Amazing!! I would mop that plate up!!
I appreciate that...:emoji_smile:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That is a plate full of pure culinary bliss right there!! Beautiful job all the way around Charles.
The belly slices were the star of the show
I can see how that would be the case. From my vantage point, here is a countdown in order of appeal:
#3 The ribs
#2 The ABT's
#1 The belly.

Those slices are just fantastic looking. You got me thinking though....and that can be a very dangerous thing. I have both beef belly and pork belly on hand. Giving consideration to doing a feast this weekend showcasing both, but that remains to be seen based on Tracy's schedule for me :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Man oh man you have my attention! That right there was a pate full of happiness and flavor! Well done!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That is a plate full of pure culinary bliss right there!! Beautiful job all the way around Charles.

I can see how that would be the case. From my vantage point, here is a countdown in order of appeal:
#3 The ribs
#2 The ABT's
#1 The belly.

Those slices are just fantastic looking. You got me thinking though....and that can be a very dangerous thing. I have both beef belly and pork belly on hand. Giving consideration to doing a feast this weekend showcasing both, but that remains to be seen based on Tracy's schedule for me :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Thank you, Robert. I'll have to say that I was inspired first by the newsletter that Jeff sent out that included the smoked belly slices.

Then I remembered this thread by Keith, indaswamp indaswamp ...

Which also linked to a beef rib thread by civilsmoker civilsmoker . These 2 threads inspired me on the ribs. The ABTs were an afterthought...

Fix me up a man sized feed bag Charles. All of it looks fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky