Tomorrow's brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Wife invited people over Tomm so I Trimmed this 8lb’er choice I got from Kroger For dinner Tomm. Left more fat on it than normally just really tried to shape it and trim that top outer layer of fat down and trim that fluffy white fat off of it, the fat really wasn’t that thick to begin with for the most part. Using my masterbuilt propane smoker planning on running it at 250 maybe a bit hotter to speed up the cook a bit. I did inject it with some beef broth mixed with better than bouillon roast beef stock, so I have some left over I was thinking of either mixing It with apple cider vinegar and spritzing with it or pouring a little over the brisket before I wrap it in butcher paper. Yay, Nay, won’t make a difference? I was just trying to use it up thats all. “Planning” on a 7hr cook and a 90min to 2hr rest if all goes well. I’ll post updates tomm.

IT are 160-164 if it holds here for the next 30min or so I’ll then wrap. 3rd pic is just before I posted the update. 3.5hrs into the cook. Crazy how much these briskets shrink Compared to first pic.

pic in the tin is right before I wrapped in butcher paper with a little drizzle of the injection i used. IT was 178 and 185 And bark was set nicely. Just wish that spot wouldn’t have pooled and taken off the rub but oh well. I find these smaller brisket flats I cook that always happens.

in the end I let it cool to 180 then sliced, super tender, money slice was the point/flat area super juicy Just personally wish there was more of a smoke ring to it visually but otherwise can’t complain. Girls here loved it so I’ll take it.

Attachments

• ABFF96C2-8E74-45C5-A7FE-58397742660A.jpeg
    ABFF96C2-8E74-45C5-A7FE-58397742660A.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0A80DE58-49EE-41A7-927E-471D47663536.jpeg
    0A80DE58-49EE-41A7-927E-471D47663536.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 76B071A1-3BB9-4B61-B878-4678D53AB2E1.jpeg
    76B071A1-3BB9-4B61-B878-4678D53AB2E1.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9473F199-5600-46C4-ACBF-16BF1260D58A.jpeg
    9473F199-5600-46C4-ACBF-16BF1260D58A.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 8282732B-7A2D-4DDB-8722-6DCC2D321652.jpeg
    8282732B-7A2D-4DDB-8722-6DCC2D321652.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Be careful with that better then bouillon. I find that it's very salty for me.

agreed. I’ve used it before in other applications and to offset I used low sodium beef broth And I only used 1tbsp inabout 2.5c of broth I’m only going to use a drizzle in the wrap.

Last edited:
Wife invited people over Tomm so I Trimmed this 8lb’er choice I got from Kroger For dinner Tomm. Left more fat on it than normally just really tried to shape it and trim that top outer layer of fat down and trim that fluffy white fat off of it, the fat really wasn’t that thick to begin with for the most part. Using my masterbuilt propane smoker planning on running it at 250 maybe a bit hotter to speed up the cook a bit. I did inject it with some beef broth mixed with better than bouillon roast beef stock, so I have some left over I was thinking of either mixing It with apple cider vinegar and spritzing with it or pouring a little over the brisket before I wrap it in butcher paper. Yay, Nay, won’t make a difference? I was just trying to use it up thats all. “Planning” on a 7hr cook and a 90min to 2hr rest if all goes well. I’ll post updates tomm.

Everything sounds good but I think your time frame may be a little short.
I don't know how much wrapping in butcher paper will speed up your smoke but at stead 275F with amazing air circulation (convection fan in my smoker) and unwrapped the whole time I get a little over an hour a pound untrimmed weight.

So your 8 pounder would likely take a little over 9 hours or so unwrapped in my smoker at a steady 275F.
I always suggest for people to add 4 hours to their total time so that if they are lucky their brisket comes off 4 hours early and they tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and put on the counter. 4 hours later it is steaming hot and ready to slice and serve.
If you don't finish 4 hours early then you have 4 hours for it to hopefully be done before hungry people attack you with forks and knives hahaha.

So I would have your 8 pound on a hot smoker 12 hours before I planned to serve and eat.

Again, I don't know how much speed paper wrapping buys you but my info is tried and true for my smoker so factor it in as best you can.
Other than that I think you should be ok with everything else you have going on :)

Smoke it at 250* for the first 2 hours than bump in up to 285-300* and you might hit your time frame.
I wouldn't add any vinegar, spray the butcher paper down with H2o with some broth puddled into it, and it will be awesome!!!

I agree the timeline is too short. I would expect what tallbm tallbm said in timing. When i inject a brisket which is not often I use beef consume, its thin and mild, and light on salt.

Smoke it at 250* for the first 2 hours than bump in up to 285-300* and you might hit your time frame.
I wouldn't add any vinegar, spray the butcher paper down with H2o with some broth puddled into it, and it will be awesome!!!

so this is closer to 6lbs trimmed down. I’m gonna try ur idea since I’m already behind, my smoker runs a bit hot so it’ll cook more in the 275 range. This is only my 5th brisket all in the 6-8lb range and I’ve found they tend To hit that stall in the 3 hr time cuz I think the temp probe is off but I use a weber igrill2 Probe in the meat so when it hits that 165-170 I pull and wrap.

What's up for a rub, SPOG?
I used a mix of the three little pigs beef rub and cherry rub, it’s more palatable for the wife and kids. I’ve found 8n the past that the Texas rub of just salt and pepper after smoking they think is to spicy, so I use rubs on anything I smoke that’s lighter on the pepper Even though that’s what I prefer.

Reactions: Colin1230
I agree the timeline is too short. I would expect what tallbm tallbm said in timing. When i inject a brisket which is not often I use beef consume, its thin and mild, and light on salt.
Ya think even if I cook it at 275-300. This smoker runs hot even in the lowest setting. I put It on at 9am pit temp is 275 and both probes one in the med thick part of the flat other in the thickest part are at 100 and 106deg. I’d like to rest it for atleast an hour and eat by 6:30, guess we’ll see. But next time I’ll allow for more wiggle room as I’ve seen that even a longer rest time can be more beneficial.

Sounds like you have plenty of advice here, so whatever way you go, I wish you good luck & a tasty, moist & tender brisket.
Al

Sounds like you have plenty of advice here, so whatever way you go, I wish you good luck & a tasty, moist & tender brisket.
Al
This is prob an odd question but in this setup would ever flip the brisket? I ask because I notice a low spot where the fat is pooling and it’s taking the rub off and it’s not getting any bark forming. Also i put it fat side up so the underside maybe because of the water pan only has minimal bark at this point, now granted it’s only been on about 2.5 hrs. I’ve had good bark formation in the past with this setup so maybe it could just be the way the brisket was cut and now tightening up from cooking?

Last edited:
This is prob an odd question but in this setup would ever flip the brisket? I ask because I notice a low spot where the fat is pooling and it’s taking the rub off and it’s not getting any bark forming. Also i put it fat side up so the underside maybe because of the water pan only has minimal bark at this point, now granted it’s only been on about 2.5 hrs. I’ve had good bark formation in the past with this setup so maybe it could just be the way the brisket was cut and now tightening up from cooking?

I have never flipped a brisket over, but I see nothing wrong in doing so.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky