brisket rest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Ok doing a brisket for my dads b-day. Gonna paper wrap at the stall. First time for me. When done and probe tender I plan to let it rest a bit to stop the cooking. Then my usual rest in the oven on the warm setting. My question.....When I oven it for the rest....Do I foil wrap over the paper or just paper and into the over? Thanks for the assist.

Jim

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Jim I do just the paper . On a sheet pan .
Sometimes I go in unwrapped also .
Here's a thread on one method I use . This was a oven finish / counter rest , but might be a take away in there for you .

Just paper wrapped but I do wrap that in a towel and throw into my large cooler. Stays hot for a very long time. Cooler allows me to transport it to any where I might be going. The towel can be used to wipe off all the goodness that will come from your cook.

I've started wrapping the whole thing in saran wrap for hold. Seem to have less leakage and keeps the liquid gold in place. But that's just my opinion.
I'm sure yours will turn out perfect Jim and will be enjoyed by all on this special day!
And Happy Birthday to your dad !

Keith

saran wrap for hold. Seem to have less leakage and keeps the liquid gold in place. But that's just my opinion.
It works . I hold right on the counter .
20220417_172828.jpg
20220417_175451.jpg

When I oven it for the rest....Do I foil wrap over the paper or just paper and into the over? Thanks for the assist.
You can hot hold in paper, foil, or naked if you want.... if you make a foil bottom for a paper wrap, it will make clean-up easier. Lay your paper atop your meat, then roll both together. These are ribs, but you get the idea.
vwAtWlx.jpg

Interesting. Imma have to try that!! I feel I lose a lot of the good liquid stuff during the hold.
That was a 205 temp brisket , just held on the counter .
You can also do it heated , but have to wrap with foil over the plastic to shield the heat .
I forget the melting points of the plastic wrap with cooking temps , I'd have to check my notes . I just know out of the oven , or off the smoker there are no worries . As the meat cools it sucks the wrap down tight .

Found my picture I was looking for lolView attachment 691070
Yep! I got a old coleman cooler that is my travel cooler for smoked meats! All that goes in it. Was gonna toss it because it had a crack in it. And then I got to reading about using a cooler as a holding chamber. Gave it a new life.

Jim

Reactions: schlotz and KBFlyer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky