Today's Smokin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
My sister always does a turkey for Thanksgiving and we are going there. I like turkey, but a 20 lb. smoked ham is better in my book. So, I smoked one. Scored and studded with whole cloves, basted with one part pineapple juice and three parts honey, per Jeff's recipe.
Smoked it in my Pineapple Drum Smoker with hickory. Lit the drum by the Minion Method, it settled in at 255° and stayed there with all plugs out of the lid and one plug out of the base of the drum. I'm liking the drum more and more.
Not content with the ham, I made up 20 ABT's and 5 JD fattys, 2 reg., 2 sage, and one Italian, which I had not tried before (but WILL again, it is great!). Fired off the GOSM gasser and loaded it with that stuff.
While it was all smoking I cooked up a batch of Chipotle Sweet Potatoes. First time for those and they are most tasty! Have chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in them.
Anyhow, here are some pics -
8c39843b_vbattach15696.jpg

d1543701_vbattach15695.jpg

c14041b4_vbattach15693.jpg

96d03da6_vbattach15694.jpg

wow peculiarmike...where'd you say that address was? We already had our Thanksgiving in Canada but I am game again if your inviting for a meal that looks that good! Looks awesome..... love your smoker by the way....just goes ot show that one doesn't need the biggest and the best to get the best! Cheers!

uuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm .. Some good looking ham ya got there. ...
Happy Thanksgiving ....

Earlier I responded to the Sweet Potatos in the Veggie thread. Somehow I missed this thread until now. Beautiful spread and great photos.

I know you will enjoy. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Skip

Now that's a meal! Everything looks great, but that ham is peaking my interest. Was it fresh, or pre smoked? Is that cut called a ham or is it a shoulder...?

Could you show how your pineapple drum smoker is made? I'd like to make one of them!! I made a 1965 GE Fridge/smoker and the wife wasn't to hip on making dinner in it the first time. See what she says about cookin dinner in a drum. LOL

Excellent looking ham Mike. I did one today also (T-Day on my side). Gotta brine a turkey tonight for T-Day on her side for tomorrow.

I'm still thinking about doing one of those drum smokers... just gotta get the time to find a barrel or two.

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent looking ham. Ham is my downfall. Always seem to come out too dry for me. Pre-cooked are suppose to go to 160º according to one of my charts, but I still found it dry. More like 130º or so. What temp did you shoot for?

I've got to like anyone who uses chipotle in any form, your choice was excellent! Thanks for the Q Views, sometimes a picture will tell it all. Great job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky