Morty Pride Salted Fresh Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpaysonc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Hey,
Just saw a "Morty Pride Salted Fresh Ham" at our local podunk grocery store. Very odd to see and very out of character for the store. It's what appears to be a heavily salt cured, uncooked, un-smoked ham, ready to be smoked or otherwise utilized in some fashion. I rinsed it, scored the skin, slathered it with local honey and freshly ground black pepper and popped it on the Smokin-it #1 for a few hours with white oak. Took it to 160F, and now it's just resting under a loose-ish tent of foil. Mighty curious about the end result. It looks mighty good at this point. Is anyone else familiar with this fresh ham and how folks typically prep it?

Reactions: JLeonard
First to answer your question, no I have not so can't tell you about the prep.

But would love to see your process and pics of the of the finish and than what you did with said heavily salt cured, un-smoked ham
and how the final taste really was .

David

I saw an episode of a Chef's life that she did on " North Carolina Corned Ham " .
That looks like where Morty Pride is located .
I remember they packed salt in , around and on the whole thing . Packed it on somehow and left to cure or corn . I do remember her soaking it before cooking , but that's all I know about it .
Interested though . Would like to hear your thoughts on the results .

I saw an episode of a Chef's life that she did on " North Carolina Corned Ham " .
That looks like where Morty Pride is located .
I remember they packed salt in , around and on the whole thing . Packed it on somehow and left to cure or corn . I do remember her soaking it before cooking , but that's all I know about it .
Interested though . Would like to hear your thoughts on the results .
I think that's it precisely. End result is mighty salty. I've cubed it up and intend to use it like a ham hock for seasoning. I wish I researched it a bit prior to brashly tossing it on the smoker, but whatever... live and learn!

First to answer your question, no I have not so can't tell you about the prep.

But would love to see your process and pics of the of the finish and than what you did with said heavily salt cured, un-smoked ham
and how the final taste really was .

David
It's been cubed at this point, not much to look at. Mighty salty, not what I hoped, but I didn't look into it at all, just plowed ahead. It'll make good seasoning pork at least!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky