Fricken Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Bought a small Frick's Hickory Smoked Carver Ham at HEB (the best ham made in my humble opinion) and decided to doctor it up with some cloves, fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherries...
IMG_2083.JPG

Glazed with pineapple juice, dark brown sugar and honey.
IMG_2084.jpg

Came out Fricken awesome!
IMG_2089.JPG

If you have not tried one of these hams I encourage you to - they are the real McCoy not factory ham and they taste great! Sliced paper thin and fried with an egg for breakfast will knock your socks off, and a paper thin sliced carver ham and Swiss sandwich is magic.
IMG_2086.JPG

The End

Now to clean that pan. Actually it is half water so it will not be that bad, but still a chore... 😳

I know that's good . Local to where I live , about an hour from my house . I can buy a lot of it local . The store my Son works at has a big section for Fricks .
I get the chub of bologna weekly . Great stuff too , so is the Braunschweiger .

You dressed that one up real nice .

Reactions: Retired Spook
I know that's good . Local to where I live , about an hour from my house . I can buy a lot of it local . The store my Son works at has a big section for Fricks .
I get the chub of bologna weekly . Great stuff too , so is the Braunschweiger .

You dressed that one up real nice .
They make real good stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: chopsaw
That looks pretty darn tasty for a ham. The lady has requested that I add pineapple to the loin ham I'm curing, so I was going to compromise and do 1/2. Now I'm going to go get a fresh pineapple, just because yours looks great and probably do the whole 4 lb chunk in pineapple.

Tip on the pan. Ascorbic acid (commonly known as vitamin C, and the major proponent of 3$ a pop dishwasher/clothes washer cleaners) will take the residue either completely off or make it to where it sponges off pretty easily. I just buy a big bottle vitamin C tabs at the Mart or bag of powdered at Big Daddy Bezos' Online Flea Market and Emporium for cheap and toss in a dozen or so or a quarter cup when I get a mess like that. You can toss a dozen in the clothes washer once in a while too. I just noticed the Lemi Shine brand in a 5lb bag. That's the cheapest /lb I've ever seen. You can also buy sodium percarbonate (oxi clean generic) on Amazon, but I quit running it in my dishwasher. Vitamin C works better.

1700427366223.png
1700427630326.png

That looks pretty darn tasty for a ham. The lady has requested that I add pineapple to the loin ham I'm curing, so I was going to compromise and do 1/2. Now I'm going to go get a fresh pineapple, just because yours looks great and probably do the whole 4 lb chunk in pineapple.

Tip on the pan. Ascorbic acid (commonly known as vitamin C, and the major proponent of 3$ a pop dishwasher/clothes washer cleaners) will take the residue either completely off or make it to where it sponges off pretty easily. I just buy a big bottle vitamin C tabs at the Mart or bag of powdered at Big Daddy Bezos' Online Flea Market and Emporium for cheap and toss in a dozen or so or a quarter cup when I get a mess like that. You can toss a dozen in the clothes washer once in a while too. I just noticed the Lemi Shine brand in a 5lb bag. That's the cheapest /lb I've ever seen. You can also buy sodium percarbonate (oxi clean generic) on Amazon, but I quit running it in my dishwasher. Vitamin C works better.

View attachment 681403View attachment 681404
I will give the citric acid a try!

Bought a small Frick's Hickory Smoked Carver Ham at HEB (the best ham made in my humble opinion) and decided to doctor it up with some cloves, fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherries...
View attachment 681395
Glazed with pineapple juice, dark brown sugar and honey.
View attachment 681396

Came out Fricken awesome!
View attachment 681397

If you have not tried one of these hams I encourage you to - they are the real McCoy not factory ham and they taste great! Sliced paper thin and fried with an egg for breakfast will knock your socks off, and a paper thin sliced carver ham and Swiss sandwich is magic.
View attachment 681398

The End

Now to clean that pan. Actually it is half water so it will not be that bad, but still a chore... 😳
Man that looks good!
Saw that brand at WalMart here in North GA last week. Had never heard of it. Think I'm gonna have to give one a try now. Just like yours but probably on the kettle with some hickory smoke.
Do you think the cloves are a make or break? I don't have any and don't know what else I would ever use them for.

Reactions: JLeonard
That looks wonderful! Not sure I could source one of those around here but man does it look juicy! And we love ham!

Ryan
Might want to try Walmart. They carry them here in GA. May be a seasonal thing though. I had never seen that brand before last week but I don't go to Walmart very often either.

Man that looks good!
Saw that brand at WalMart here in North GA last week. Had never heard of it. Think I'm gonna have to give one a try now. Just like yours but probably on the kettle with some hickory smoke.
Do you think the cloves are a make or break? I don't have any and don't know what else I would ever use them for.
That ham is soooooo fricken good that I am actually surprised that Walmart carries them...

Cloves do not last long in the closet but imho ya gotta have cloves; the downside is you will never use them up before they start to fade.

Frick's makes fricken good stuff. 🫡

Doing a double smoked ham To take to my folks on thanksgiving. I might have to add in the pineapples and maraschino cherries. Yours looked mighty darn good. And I’m betting it do make some good sammichs!

Jim

Fricks does make a really good ham. They are made in a small town just outside St Louis. They are family owned and operated. My former head meat cutter went to school with the kids. The family name is actually pronounced with a long "I" like Frykes. It was so commonly mispronounced the daughter announced in a board meeting that the official company name pronunciation will now be Fricks as in "f ricks".
Good folks with very good products.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky