To our military members...please read.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
New Bill just passed Senate WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to render a military salute the flag. Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.
"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform. "Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not. "I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This Bill was passed July 25, 2007. Let your veteran friends know about the Passage of this Bill.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I know we have a number of people here who were in the military so I thought I'd pass it along....semper fi to any jar heads out there...

I just salute the flag everytime in uniform or not. If someone has a problem with that they can bring it to my attention. That is why I am serving so they have the right to complain freely. But they will have to speak up I am hard of hearing.

I'm proud of each and every one of you soldiers. I share your pride and love for this country and our flag.

Thank you, Jim Inhoff. I look forward to voting for you again.

Question for the military guys here. My brother in law has served in Iraq and might be heading over again in the summer. I am a civilian who cannot join the military due to hearing loss in my left ear. I have often wondered if it is disrepectful to military personnel if I salute him (say if he is going overseas) or should I just shake his hand and wish him well?

I personally would think that a solider would appreciate the level of respect I have for the servicemen by my salute, but I was never sure.

Thanks for the information Shellbellc and Semper Fi!
Being a former Marine, 10 1/2 years, serving in Korea and later serving in the Army AGR and retiring as a Sergeant Major I have always saluted the flag and felt it was a honor and privilege to serve and salute the flag.

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Spent 3 years with the 82nd airborne. Thanks for the information!

ajthepoolman: I don't know why a soldier would be offended. As a vet I know I would not and I would return the honor.

Heck I was saluted by a retired 4 star general in the middle of a 5 diamond restaurant after making him a special dessert. (pastry chef for 7 years) Had all the uppity diners looking at me odd trying to figure out what was going on ;)

We all need to show our respect and honor to the flag and those who have gone before us! A salute or hand over your heart will always in order.

82nd Airborne

If your brother or family member is going back....do whatever you want to show your respect.

As far as flag saluting.....more the better.

Now if we can get people to take off their hats when they come in to a building.....
rolleyes.gif

I have always been told that when I am in civies I am to only place my hand over my heart NOT to salute. I have always found this unsettling. As I work for the Navy now as a civilian I often forget I am in civies and salute anyway getting nasty looks from senior officers (mostly young arogant putzes).

Now they can shove it!

Thanks Shell!
BIG HUGS!

PS I just emailed it to me at work so I can pass it around! Maybe I'll post it in front of the Commanders office!
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky