A special thanks to my French Canadian Mother-in-Law

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Christmas 1985, my MIL first introduced me to the meat pie. It's a French Canadian meal that my in-laws served during the Christmas holidays. My MIL would make two pies to eat during our Christmas dinner, and two pies for each family. So she would end up making 12 pies in total. My MIL passed away a few years ago, and I'm happy that my wife picked up on the tradition.

Today's pie
DSC05306.JPG

Someone stole a slice:
DSC05311.JPG

Ahh here it is: The first slice never comes out clean for me.
DSC05314.JPG

Now my wife doesn't care for meat pie, but since I knew she was making them for me. I decided to treat her to her favorite meal.
Here's what's left of just over three pounds of lobster:
DSC05317.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Christmas 1985, my MIL first introduced me to the meat pie. It's a French Canadian meal that my in-laws served during the Christmas holidays. My MIL would make two pies to eat during our Christmas dinner, and two pies for each family. So she would end up making 12 pies in total. My MIL passed away a few years ago, and I'm happy that my wife picked up on the tradition.

Today's pie
View attachment 683835
Someone stole a slice:
View attachment 683837
Ahh here it is: The first slice never comes out clean for me.
View attachment 683838
Now my wife doesn't care for meat pie, but since I knew she was making them for me. I decided to treat her to her favorite meal.
Here's what's left of just over three pounds of lobster:
View attachment 683839

Thanks for looking.

Chris
3lbs of Libster? Did you win the lottery? Meat pie looks interesting. I would love to try it sometime but have not heard of it being served around here

Being half French Canadian (full blood from mom's side) I grew up with a lot of French Canadian foods ...... meat pies being one of them. The same pork filling used in the meat pies is also put into bowls and left to set (best outside on a cold windy day) and is killer spread on toast.

Reactions: KBFlyer and gmc2003
Nice spread Chris.
Sucks being close to the coast and getting fresh prison food (lobster) Old history.
If you love meat pie check out pasties No not the strip joint variety.
Pasties are a dough wrapped filling with a variety of seasoned meat. Not cooked in a pie pan, but on a sheet pan. Basically a European version of a larger empanada.

Oh yes, points fur sure

Just perfect Chris, ( Mona and I would both be happy with that meal )
and of coarse that is big here in Nova Scotia also. Large French areas around the province.

Nice big slab of meat pie and side of gravy and a hot bowl of FR. Onion soup. Be hard to get me away from table.

Nice of your wife to take up on the tradition for the family and keep the history going.

And you do what I do .
Have something I like and if Mona is not too keen on it , I also supply her and now her mom with a few lobster or mussels. And they can have every bit of them. lol

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Chris, My wife and I make a tourtiere pie every Xmas eve. I first had one in Maine many years ago and love them . Your wife's looks delicious !

Reactions: gmc2003
3lbs of Libster? Did you win the lottery? Meat pie looks interesting. I would love to try it sometime but have not heard of it being served around here
LOL no lotto winning here. Lobster frequently goes on sale here. It's the wild shrimp that kills my wallet. I never knew about meat pie until I married my wife, and I've been hooked since.

Looks mighty good!

Jim
Appreciate it Jim.

Chris

Being half French Canadian (full blood from mom's side) I grew up with a lot of French Canadian foods ...... meat pies being one of them. The same pork filling used in the meat pies is also put into bowls and left to set (best outside on a cold windy day) and is killer spread on toast.
Thanks Doug, I can see the toast spread happening in the near future.
That all looks fantastic Chris. My hat in my hand for a plate of all of it. Nice work.
Appreciate it Eric but you better hurry. I froze one and the other will be finished tonight.

Chris

Reactions: DougE
Nice spread Chris.
Sucks being close to the coast and getting fresh prison food (lobster) Old history.
If you love meat pie check out pasties No not the strip joint variety.
Pasties are a dough wrapped filling with a variety of seasoned meat. Not cooked in a pie pan, but on a sheet pan. Basically a European version of a larger empanada.

Oh yes, points fur sure
Thanks John, yeah prison food sure is tough to choke down. It's amazing how that reversed course thru the years. So a pasty is like a home-made hot pocket? Sounds good and will have to give it a whirl.

Just perfect Chris, ( Mona and I would both be happy with that meal )
and of coarse that is big here in Nova Scotia also. Large French areas around the province.

Nice big slab of meat pie and side of gravy and a hot bowl of FR. Onion soup. Be hard to get me away from table.

Nice of your wife to take up on the tradition for the family and keep the history going.

And you do what I do .
Have something I like and if Mona is not too keen on it , I also supply her and now her mom with a few lobster or mussels. And they can have every bit of them. lol

David
Appreciate it David. I kind of figured yous guys north of the border knew about it. Now home made French onion soup sounds real good to me. I haven't had a good bowl in years.

I learned this the hard way thru years of marriage.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That looks and sounds fantastic! Love seeing traditions kept alive in families too.
Thanks Jeff. Especially the tasty traditions.
Never had it , but I'd be all over that . I bet that's really good .
Appreciate it Rich, you should look into it. They are really good, and I'm pretty sure you'd like it.

Chris

Chris, My wife and I make a tourtiere pie every Xmas eve. I first had one in Maine many years ago and love them . Your wife's looks delicious !
Thanks Dave, I'm pretty sure my MIL version morphed from tourtiere to meat when their hunting days ended.
I've added this to my list for something to try in the next couple weeks. Looks fairly easy to keto up.
It really is a simple dish, and can be made keto friendly. Let us know how it goes if you do try it Jeff.

Chris

Now that's the type of pie I could fill up on!

Ryan
LOL thanks Ryan. It is a good pie hole filler.
I looked up the recipe......Might have to give it a swing.

Jim
It's pretty simple and I think there are a few slightly different versions of it Jim. My wife uses a 3:1 mix of pork to beef.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky