Thinking of getting a pellet grill smoker but need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamapig

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
I've always used stick burners and WSM. Thinking of trying a pellet smoker. I have no idea what to get though. Is the traeger ironwood with super smoke worth it over a pit boss 820? I'd like have the wifi bluetooth app so I can control it from wherever and check on it as needed.
Would a green mountain grill or grilla be better? I dont mind splurging got trager but wanted to make sure it's worth it. I know the smoke will be less but I'd add smoke tube and hopefully that will help. Are there alot of issues with super smoke modes or does it make a difference

I dont care for the looks of rected. Dont like the horns

I understand...just preparing you for the conversations that will come in the future on this thread. It is at least good to hear from people that are passionate about the brands they have chosen. I do like the orange on the yoder though.

Reactions: jmtyndall
I like the horns...

But regardless of the handle shape, the build quality, materials, warranty, WiFi controller, grill space, accessories, etc. is what I focused on with my decision. I wanted it to be a rock solid smoker - and its all that and more.

MAK if the Rec Tec is out.

And yes, the MAK has a PID controller as does the Rec Tec

Do yourself a big favor and look at the overall customer satisfaction levels of MAK, Rec Tec and Yoder.

There are good reasons why these three brands lead the pack when it comes to pellet grills.

Run, don’t walk away from “advice” in here by folks hawking a certain brand of pellet grills stating that a $600-$700.00 pellet grill can somehow offer smoke flavor comparable to a stick burner.

And after you run from that advice......laugh at it. Then pat yourself on the back for not falling for such nonsense.

If it were true, then Aaron Franklin would be burning pellets and cooking briskets with them.

Last time I checked, he wasn’t.

Seriously, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I influenced someone to buy a $600-$700.00 pellet grill by feeding them a line of nonsense that it would “give them smoke flavor like they got with their stick burner”, when I knew that it wouldn’t.

Last edited:
I've always used stick burners and WSM. Thinking of trying a pellet smoker. I have no idea what to get though. Is the traeger ironwood with super smoke worth it over a pit boss 820? I'd like have the wifi bluetooth app so I can control it from wherever and check on it as needed.
Would a green mountain grill or grilla be better? I dont mind splurging got trager but wanted to make sure it's worth it. I know the smoke will be less but I'd add smoke tube and hopefully that will help. Are there alot of issues with super smoke modes or does it make a difference

From one of your prior posts regarding your experience with the WSM and your description of your experiences using it concerning temperature swings, I'd encourage you to look into a pellet grill which has a PID controller for tighter temperature control.

Since you are interested in WiFi control and built in remote monitoring, both great features to have IMO, I actually have them both in my own pellet grill, then I'd recommend that you look into models with both of these features.

Reactions: bamapig
So gmg, rectec and traeger have wifi correct? Put boss doesn't on the pro series.

I am kinda waiting to see what their announcement is. I like the ironwood but the 650 sure looks small. Kinda worried about putting ribs on there. I dont smoke alot of volume though as it's just my family and its no.worries about 2 butts on there but ribs looks like it might be a little cramped

Yoder 640 owner here and happy with it, no complaints. And in my experience it won’t put out as much smoke flavor as charcoal or stick, but it is set and forget.

Temp monitor is a must have in my mind to validate internal temps at different locations, so if you have to buy that’s separate factor it in to price decision. WiFI and WiFi controls super nice.

Anyone have the scoop on pit bosses announcement coming up? Just a wifi model?

I'm not familiar with the announcement bamapig.

But seeing as you are in the preliminary stages of selecting a pellet grill, I would encourage you, if you have not already, to learn a bit about their operation.

If I'm being presumptuous here, well then I apologize. But I don't know if you know that they do not all work alike in terms of the manufacturer's startup and shutdown operating instruction.

One would think that with a pellet grill, you'd simply select a cooking temperature after the grill was ignited, and wait for the grill to hit that target temperature and then put your food on. Same as you would your oven were you cooking a DiGiorno's pizza.

And then after you were done cooking, you'd simply take your food off of it, and then turn it off and let it cool itself down.

Well, while some pellet cookers work this way, not all do.

And so it might be worth it to you to do a bit of research on the startup, preheating and shutdown procedures for Pit Boss pellet smokers while you are doing your research.

a few days ago, one member of this forum who had recently purchased a Pit Boss pellet grill, mentioned his experience in a prior thread on this forum.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-smoker-purchase.287429/page-3#post-1989663

Good luck.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky