Thickening agent for a sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crd26a

Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I've got a sauce I make at home (and use at comp's) that my wife and I both love. It is a runny sauce (made for comp's, so didn't want thick), but my wife would like for me to be able to thicken it up. Is there any decent agents I could use to help thickne the sauce while not impacting the flavor? Thoughts? Suggestions?

cornstarch and water to a 2 % milk consistency-I use all the time to thicken things

Guar gum, does a better job at thickening than cornstarch and does not have the gluten issues if that may be a concern. Can find it in most large groceries that have a special dietary section for those with food allergies. Will also help keep things from settling out. A little goes a long ways.

You could always boil okra with it and then remove the okra. Forget what it is specifically but they produce a slimy sort of thickening agent when boiled from a raw state. Lots of cooks use it in soups and stews to thicken.

Areoroot,areowoodroot, something like that is what i have heard of useing in the past, i just render mine down on the stove. the type of "sweet" you use will thicken it also, such as jellys or jams or karo syrup.

Try a little bit of flour. I Dont know how you make your sauce, but I add a little at a time as it comes to a boil. Then let simmer on down. Make sure you wisk it in as you add it. Doesnt affect the flavor if you don't add too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky