These Big Legs were made for Walking , " DISNEY TURKEY LEGS "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those legs look fantastic, David. Though it would not usually be true, I am sure I could eat an entire one of these legs!

Thanks Kim for the like and the comment

I know what you mean, I hate to say not a problem for me to shove one of them down my neck for a snack.

All kidding aside they are great , and good just as hand food , and also to strip down and add the meat to many meals.
But the whole idea is to have as a Flintstone type of meal on the stick per person. lol :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Oh man David… now that is top notch! Been too long since I’ve had one of them… that needs to change soon! Thanks for the reminder on a tasty treat!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment

You are more than welcome, and they are a great tasty treat for sure. :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: 🤠
I have wanted to do these for awhile but could never find the big ones. Done lots of chicken drums , just not the same.

David

Thanks . Yes I've tried before . It's a crap shoot really . I think after works better if you don't have the tool .

I had a rub that I won from the sausage throwdown . Lillie's BBQ . Low salt and on the sweet side . It was perfect on these .
That thigh was as good as any pork ham I've had .

Good to know , I have heard of the tool and seen a picture of it , But i will have to just use my plyers, lol

But like you said the thighs are the answer, I have had the small turkey thighs , would love to find the big ones.

And yours sounded great, love the ham idea

David

ps; I found Jeff's rub was sweeter than I thought it would be, it was ok for this , but for the drum I will add heaver smoke next time , maybe Hickory of Mesquite

Wow! What a great, fun cook! The tendons have always kept me away from those, but I do love the look and flavor! Beautiful job!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! What a great, fun cook! The tendons have always kept me away from those, but I do love the look and flavor! Beautiful job!

Thanks Jed for the comment

They are a tasty treat , and fun to do.

Mona said she is not and will not hold one up for me to take a picture of her chewing on one . :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: 🤠

What a party pooper.

David

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Turkey legs are readily available around here and yours look good, David. We love smoked turkey, but this is the one thing I hate about the legs...
View attachment 662524
Those tendons are aggravating to remove and I need a lot more practice at removing them...:emoji_wink:
Great looking legs! I love these things. If you ever git turkey thighs they are amazing done line this so don't pass them by either :D

Great looking legs! I love these things. If you ever git turkey thighs they are amazing done line this so don't pass them by either :D

Thanks for the like and the comment

They were and are very good, I would love to get ahold of some thighs. Like I mentioned to Rich. They would be tops on my list if I could find some at a normal price.

But still love doing the legs just cause they are good and fun to eat, when I want to feel like Henry the 8th. lol

David

Not a turkey fan, but I may give it a whirl when I find them on sale at north home.

They don't seem to be as popular at Disney now. Too many options for snacks these days.
EPCOT has regular festivals that showcase a lot of fusion foods from around the world. They also have a lot of (gag me) impossible offerings.
Our daughter tried to explain to us why fake meat products appeal to some people.
Still don't get it.

They look delicious David! Love them as well! Prior to covid another couple and us went together and bought a 30 lb box of turkey drumsticks and also a 30 lb box of turkey wings... one box cost $12, and other box cost $ 7.50! From a local turkey farm. So I know how good they are!

Ryan

Not a turkey fan, but I may give it a whirl when I find them on sale at north home.

They don't seem to be as popular at Disney now. Too many options for snacks these days.
EPCOT has regular festivals that showcase a lot of fusion foods from around the world. They also have a lot of (gag me) impossible offerings.
Our daughter tried to explain to us why fake meat products appeal to some people.
Still don't get it.

Thanks John for the like and the comment

I love dark meat turkey, and white if it is not dry. These legs are more of a treat to have.

I know that Disney only has the drums at 1 or maybe 2 places now, not in Frontier Land like they used to I think, have not been for a few years.

Plant based, not meat product trying to taste like meat with added protein and chemicals to give you the same balance as real meat.
Wish there was something else they could eat......THERE is its called MEAT, but that is just me.

David

Reactions: Fueling Around
They look delicious David! Love them as well! Prior to covid another couple and us went together and bought a 30 lb box of turkey drumsticks and also a 30 lb box of turkey wings... one box cost $12, and other box cost $ 7.50! From a local turkey farm. So I know how good they are!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

yes I just love the flavour and the idea that I feel like Fred Flintstone while eating one, lol

That was a great price for cases of those wings and drums, wish I could find that around here.

David

Smoked cured dark meat turkey is probably my fave of all. I like to snack on it. Seems like a good place to get more info on the tendon removal. How many are there? What about taking these up higher like 200F IT so you could "pull" it?

Smoked cured dark meat turkey is probably my fave of all. I like to snack on it. Seems like a good place to get more info on the tendon removal. How many are there? What about taking these up higher like 200F IT so you could "pull" it?

Thanks Sam for the comment

As for the tendons , I think 7 or 8 maybe per leg, I thought I had them all, but still couple more in mine when I started chewing on it. :emoji_yum:

Above Rich chopsaw chopsaw mentioned to cut the skin around the end of leg , I think just below the knob on the side of the leg. That way once cooked it will shrink down some to the main part of the leg, exposing the tendons better to grab with a clean pair of plyers.

That will be my next try.

Because like you I really like the dark meat + cured Turkey , so also on the hunt for turkey thighs, Like Rich said same meat and no tendons works for me

David

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky