Legs or no Legs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
To make a long story short I'm going to purchase a new 40" MES and I have the option to get it with or without legs. I've had multiple 30" MES but all did not have the leg setup. Is it worth the extra money for the legs?

Reactions: JLeonard
How much will the legs raise it up? Would the money spent be of benefit to you?

Jim
Only about 12" or so I think. I'm using the smoker outdoors on concrete. So I was thinking being off the ground especiallyn in cold weather wcould be a benifit. Also, is it better to have a glass windowed door or not?

Only about 12" or so I think. I'm using the smoker outdoors on concrete. So I was thinking being off the ground especiallyn in cold weather wcould be a benifit. Also, is it better to have a glass windowed door or not?
Ive never used the MES....But from reading on here the glass door gets coated with smoke and grease pretty easily. Making it almost useless. I've seen on here where folks have built or used a rolling cart to raise theirs up. Sorry not much help here.

Jim

I have a mes 30, I just built a wooden stand on wheels so I can wheel around, I built it about 3 feet high so I wouldn't have to be bending over.

I've found Greased Lightening takes smoke off glass and SS easily.
Just don't let the smoke stay on for a long time or you may not get it off.
It's a task you have to stay on top of.

Last edited:
Oh heck yeah legs! Recently got a Smokefire and it got me totally spoiled me not having to bend over using the MES.

Reactions: chopsaw
I've never found the need for legs, but I like 'em! LOL I could see the benefit in the winter time, but mine needs to stay mobile (in and out of the garage). I've never been able to find a suitable cover for it. I have the masterbuilt one, but it might as well have been made of chicken wire or something...its soo porous. I even tried waterproof spray on it but didn't matter, so it stays inside until use.

If it sets on the ground cold air cant get to the bottom very well, raise it up and I promise you it will, not a engineer but common sense sez it helps setting on the concrete. Probably not enough to worry about but every little bit helps she said :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: cruiser rod
I've found Greased Lightening takes smoke off glass and SS easily.
Just don't let the smoke stay on for a long time or you may not get it off.
It's a task you have to stay on top of.
Actually a warm wet paper towel when the smoker is finished will clean the glass with the greatest of ease. Top Secret info, now I'll have to kill you :emoji_laughing:

I've never found the need for legs, but I like 'em! LOL I could see the benefit in the winter time, but mine needs to stay mobile (in and out of the garage). I've never been able to find a suitable cover for it. I have the masterbuilt one, but it might as well have been made of chicken wire or something...its soo porous. I even tried waterproof spray on it but didn't matter, so it stays inside until use.
I agree with you on the MB covers. They're crap. I got this one off Amazon and it is heavy duty and works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFCJZTBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Love
Reactions: tpc74
If it sets on the ground cold air cant get to the bottom very well, raise it up and I promise you it will, not a engineer but common sense sez it helps setting on the concrete. Probably not enough to worry about but every little bit helps she said :emoji_laughing:
Considering heat rises the concrete may only steal heat from the smoker was my thinking. I run a woodstove and under the stove is cool as a cucumber.

I also have the 40 without legs.
My son, who is 6'4 , just wishes it was on legs when he's at the house 😂.
I also have the glass door and use a razor scraper to clean the glass.
Found a factory cover from WM for $10 but mine sits under the carport.

Keith

Heck ya for the legs. I fastened the bottom of the legs to a piece of plywood which is fastened to a wooden furniture dolly. Since I store my smokers in my smoking shed, I needed a way to easily roll them out. My Masterbuilt gasser smoker which I use now as a cold smoker is also set up this way.
IMG_3021.jpeg
IMG_2997.jpeg
IMG_1552.jpeg

Mr. Gasser
IMG_2210.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it worth the extra money for the legs?
I have mine on a stand . My opinion is the factory legs are to low .
I took a comfortable height measurement for using the controller . Then subtracted everything considered and that gave me a number for the height of the stand .
I used an old Char Griller pro frame . Cut it off , redid the framing , and made a top for it .
Works good for me , but you could also buy something to repurpose .
20231107_114540.jpg

If it bleeds any heat out of the bottom it would warm the concrete up, the wind would wisk it away, like I said may not make any difference but would be similar to wrapping the sides with something but not much heat goes down, the trick is to keep cold from creaping in on any side or top/bottom

To make a long story short I'm going to purchase a new 40" MES and I have the option to get it with or without legs. I've had multiple 30" MES but all did not have the leg setup. Is it worth the extra money for the legs?

With an MES30 I would opt for the legs because its way smaller and lower to the ground.
I don't feel legs are necessary for me with an MES40.

I'm 6ft without shoes on and the MES40 is tall enough to where I don't have to do any weird bending or squatting to use it.
If you have issues with bending over a little at the waist then it may be a no brainer for you.

I don't think the concrete underneath will be an issue with heat.
Is the area covered? I was able to fit mine without legs in a plastic resin lawnmower shed/cover type thing but that would not work if it was on legs.

full.png

The glass window is pointless to me, look at how mine is pitch black. Save money IMO but stainless is a also no brainer to me. I think you always get a window with stainless so what can ya do lol.

I hope this info helps! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: cruiser rod
Yep, I'm in the no legs camp. Built cart with wheels for easy out back , or out front pending wind.
20190602_075236.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky