there s no camel section!!

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by moikel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Just got on to my local camel supplier, would it go in beef or where.?Polite answers please. Its sort of a Xmas vibe three wise men & all that.

Im thinking a tritip feel once I  work out the cuts.

2. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wild Game sounds like the right place to me too.

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

WOW, can't wait to see this!

5. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'd post it in the smoking section along with Winston, Salem, Kent, etc. vs. the non-smoking section like desserts, etc.

6. moikel

There are 1,000,000 wild camels  down here.They were used to open up the desert regions in the 1800s,telegraph lines,supply railway work gangs, deliver mail you name it. Imported from Yemen ,Canary Islands Pakistan, Afghanistan.Then turned loose in the 1920s when the motor car took over. Big mistake,the population doubles every 9 years.We have huge deserts & camels & deserts go together ,no big surprises there.

They are now a pest,we catch some re domesticate them train them for racing & sell them back to the Arabs but the slow ones ?? 

National parks shoot them from helicopters & leave them to rot.But there is now a fledging industry catching them ,involving remote Aboriginal communities providing jobs,$$.[​IMG]

Lets face it they are just a big herbivore,totally free range,cleanest environment in Australia.

So Im going to work out how to do one in the MES. I will work this out,somehow.[​IMG]  I assume I will use some Middle Eastern flavours in it, take it  to Im rambling I  have no idea[​IMG].I have got to eyeball it & pick a cut then wing it,maybe a Beirut butt as opposed to a Boston Butt. Who knows. Wish me luck.

7. moikel

I can get brisket,maybe thats a good comparison.

8. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

That would be cool.  Some camel burnt ends coming up [​IMG]

9. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

The Best part is supposted to be the HUMP....According to Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern...Got to try Both Briskie and Hump...Go BIG, Mick.....This going to be FUN!...JJ

10. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Ok ,i'll be watching.[​IMG]

11. smokin vegas

smokin vegas Smoking Fanatic

It seems to me  that camel might be a bit tough.     I would definitely marinate in a fruit juice like apple, seasonings with some tenderizer for five days.  Have you actually eaten camel yet?  If so what does it taste like?  Good luck.  Smoking' Vegas.

12. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Watch it be good and he begins importing Camel to us here in the States[​IMG]. I'd be game, as for tough,the Cow brisket is a tough piece,so...

Have fun Mick and ...

13. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKK. . . . . . this is something new.  Onward and upward![​IMG]

14. moikel

Ive had it as prosciutto made from the hump,but a long while ago. Its a wild animal now so as for tough is it going to be any tougher than elk?  I assume that they select the younger animals,I doubt very much thats its field shot,more likely caught live then shipped to the meatworks at Alice Springs.They cut it & label using the same terms as for beef. Its the new frontier cooking wise .I posted ages ago a recipe for chermoula which is a Turkish/Morocan marinade,fresh cilantro,parsley,preserved lemon,garlic,chilli,EVO,then spices like cumin,coriander,fennel seed,fenugreek . I figure I will head in that direction. 
    The wholesaler is getting back to me on whats available,its been a wet year in the outback so they will be well fed. We ship tons to Europe I assume for the Arabic communities in France,Belgium etc. .I think its popular as shish kebab .

15. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I will be right here 

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

This will be fun to watch!

Good luck and good smoking.

17. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]

18. Interesting. I'll be watching this.

19. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

I will be keeping my eye on this one....[​IMG]

20. smokin vegas

smokin vegas Smoking Fanatic

I am having problems posting on site today.  Anyone else experiencing the same thing?