Started out with a rack of ribs for wife and I Ended up with:

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 6, 2009
Louisiana
Called a brother in law that wanted to boil crawfish.  I already had the Lang going so I went ahead with the original plans

Crawfish soaking to clean  them up a bit

3902b85e_crawfishsoaking.jpg

Water spiced up and getting to a boil

b1b7d1e9_boilwater.jpg

3fb800ae_crawfishinpot.jpg

80cddc71_crawfishdoneinpot.jpg

Thighs coming off the Lang

262d2c69_chicken.jpg

Ribs done ready for sauce and a final sear

b3dd0f10_ribsdone.jpg

Taste test

b513e7bf_ribsdone1.jpg

Baked Bearns

9914ae1e_beans.jpg

7ec3efdd_rigs.jpg

d311da2c_crawfishdone.jpg

36dd64dd_moneyshot.jpg

Thanks for looking

Al

Now that is a yummy looking bunch 'O' vittles!  How is the lang working for ya?  I just ordered my 36 last Friday, still trying to arrange shipping...

Enjoy your Memorial day!

Someday I'm going to get down south and try some of the great looking southern smoking and cooking.

NIce job Al

40 bs of crawfish, three racks of babyback ribs and 5 lbs of thighs.  Got a few leftovers but it's early yet.  Lets see..... There are 8 of us for Lunch

Love the 36, get with me if you have any questions hacksaw

looks great al....Will craw fish still be in season in oct. Sure would like to try some at the gathering

77.gif

Joe

Boykjo

the season is so screwed up right now there is no telling.  It was so cold this winter they where very small and expensive during the Florida Gathering, now its getting hot but the flooding of the river is putting a lot of cool water in the crawfish ponds and we may have a very long season this year.  It would be so unusual to have them available in October but who knows. When we get closer we'll have a better idea.  If nothing else maybe we can find a couple of pounds for you. 

Al

What a terrific cook out!!

All the chow looks fantastic!!!!

MMMMM bugs  MMMMM!!!

I been lazy today ...we are eating leftovers..

Craig

Hey Al-that's a great spread you had. A buddy and me used to dive for them bugs in our local lakes and reservoirs. Got to after the big ones that way-folks would complain to the Fish and Game folks and they told us as long as the bugs come out of the water in a trap or on line and tackle, they didn't care.

hi al

that`s the kind of cook-out i only dream of. lol great job.what all do you eat of the crawfish? and how easy is it to peel? one more question, why are the ribs in foil. have a great memorial day. don`t forget to thank a vet. and if there are any in here, my hat goes off to you, and i say thank-you from the bottom of my heart.

bob

Bob,

I believe most of us will foil the ribs with a little basting liquid just before they get done.  Tenders them up and buys a little time on the smoker.  I like to let them sit a while in the foil at low heat then cover real well with sauce and toss back on the grill or the hot smoker to tighten them up a bit and caramelize the sugars in the sauce.  But you ask a dozen different people how to cook ribs and you will get a dozen different answers!

Dutch

How many of them Utah crawfish it take to make 40 lbs?  I know everything is bigger in Utah but  ?    No wait, that's Texas isn't it.   I bet they where still pretty good, plus you got to go swimming!  You don't want to go swimming in our crawfish ponds,  the snapping turtles like crawfish to.

I went back for a second plate of beans and they where all gone, didn't expect that.  My SIL wanted to take some ribs home for her hubby that didn't come and my wife said " NO, dats my lunch for next week".  I feel bad in retrospect but darn it, he shoulda come and it is a lot of work.  Sent her home with some crawfish, potatoes and corn and she was happy.

Last edited:
Man Al, that's a great looking meal! I could eat crawfish all day long, as long as I had enough beer to wash them down.  
icon14.gif

Dutch

How many of them Utah crawfish it take to make 40 lbs?  I know everything is bigger in Utah but  ?    No wait, that's Texas isn't it.   I bet they where still pretty good, plus you got to go swimming!  You don't want to go swimming in our crawfish ponds,  the snapping turtles like crawfish to.
Al, Lot of folks don't go after bugs and when they do catch them they just throw them back. The largest I've caught have been in the 5 inch range. Some of the reservoirs aren't supposed to have have crawfish in them but a bunch of live ones were illegally planted and they just took off. What's nice about crawfishing here in Utah is that there is "No Limit", you just have to kill 'em before transporting them. Those that do fish for them will do up a big crawfish boil at the lake, eat their fill and put the rest on ice and take them home.  

Looks like a great spread Al. Must have put my invite in the snail mail!  That's OK. I had leftover brisket to keep me full.

Mike

Dutch

I would have never thought that you could catch enough crawfish in Utah to make a decent meal.  Amazing the stuff I learn on this forum.   I take it the authorities consider them an invasive species if you have to be careful about how you transport them.

I have flown into Salt Lake City a couple of times to go hiking in the southern part of the state and again to go to Yellowstone

Mike,

I was going to invite you over but I figured you where at the Harley Rally in GP
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky